Spey Pages banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I live in the Snohomish river drainage and wanting to drive North to Skeena country in search of Steelhead and Coho September / October-ish. I have a truck, camper, motorcycle, inflatables & misc gear. Set up is comfortable for two, adequate for three. Roughly 1,000 miles each way to Terrace ~ two travel days each way, ( unless you red-eye it ) ~ need two weeks to make it worth the trip. Any interest, please advise. I am new to this site and relatively inept with computers and internet use - - - patience may be required.

Garry

·
Registered
3 Posts
skeena

Hey Garry,

I am heading out in about a week to do a 9 day trip to Terrace and expect to go back in late Sept or Oct. I am going now for the recon and to enjoy the driving in the summer. Would like to share details with you but don't have the vacation time for the long term trip in the fall; will likely fly and lodge it for 4 days. Feel free to PM and will swap some ideas

cheers, Travis
Kirkland, WA

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hi Travis,

Bring your rod/s. I made my first and only trip so far to Terrace the Fall of 2003 and for the most part was rained out. The Copper / Zymoetz can have fish in August and there is always something moving up The Skeena. Curious to know what you learn & see up there. In particular I am interested in the floatability of The Bulkley below/downstream of Smithers.

·
Registered
3 Posts
bulkley

i am bringing my outcast raft with the intent of floating the bulkley but think it may be early for that river. Not sure it will be much help on the skeena and it sounds like the copper is not a real floating affair. Did you check out the kalum when you were there? Is it something one might float?

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
Terrace

Negative on The Kalum. I know it is floatable because I saw a drift boat taking out right by the mouth / highway. I believe there is a lake in the system and unsure about fishing above it. It was out of shape along with most other systems on my trip. Worth while to investigate any return data you can find. I understand it to have Spring Steelhead and Chinook; not positive about Fall Steelhead.

Sorry. It just occured to me that you are either gone or back already. Please let me know how it went.

Regards,

Garry

·
Registered
477 Posts
Hisgarness
There is very big water below Smithers - a very experienced guide drowned in Driftwood canyon a few years ago. I would strongly advise you not to do it without a guide - I beleive Shaderak (not certain of spelling) guides this part of the river. Of course you would take out above Moricetown as the falls are not runable. Moricetown down to Suskwa has some very technical water requiring a high degree of whitewater experience - fish only seem to pass through this area and do not hold in significant numbers for any length of time. Below Suskwa is not realy runnable from the fishing perspective(BIG CANYON WATER). All in all above Smithers is where most of the fish slow down and hold, the water is much more accesable and presents few major challanges - the crowds are however massed in this area.
There have been drownings in the Copper system in the last few years as well.
We had a death this spring on the lower Kalum. There is a canyon half way down from the lake that is not runable. Most access to launch is private. There are also no summer/fall run steelhead to speak of in the Kalum - the fish are predominantly winter/spring run. The numbers have been realy depressed the last three years as there is still a kill allowed on wild fish in this system, this combined with slides and poor water conditions has given poor fishing for most the last two years.
speydoc

1 - 6 of 6 Posts