Spey Pages banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
fly fisher 'til it's over
1,165 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So, three of us are planning a trip to the Skeena this fall.

We've got two boats to consider hauling north - 16' Alumaweld drift boat, or flat-bottomed sled.

Drift boat is lighter, easier to tow and maneuver, easier to move on river, etc.
My only question would be shuttle services. I've searched this site for threads involving shuttles, but nothing much comes up. I could take my bike, but I'm not sure how far it is between launch sites. Anything under 15-20 km is easy.

Flat-bottomed sled is heavier, more difficult to move around, but we wouldn't have to worry about a shuttle (I assume).

Given those two choices, what would you consider taking?

Bob

·
Registered
225 Posts
Take the sled or hire a cab for your shuttle. There is some concern from legit guides that shuttling Non Resident Aliens is 'guiding'. I'll leave it to you to interpret the 'grey area'.
There really should be a policy statement by the ministry on the matter. As
it stands, it's a bit murky.

However you decide, I hope you have a successful trip.

·
Registered
401 Posts
Depends on which rivers you plan to fish...

If you are targeting the Bulkley or mainstem Skeena I would bring the sled. If you're more interested in smaller rivers go with the drift boat (watermaster type boats would be even better, especially if this turns out to be a low water year).

·
bow river ninja
220 Posts
no shuttle service out there to move your vehicle, I think that one member miss understood. ;) sled forsure... only a few rivers that I think would be drift boat friendly and not many great "boat launches"

·
1,165 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks all! The sled it is!

·
Registered
1,434 Posts
I think whichever boat you choose you should kidnap your buddy Josh and smuggle him up with you... if it's kidnapping my job will still be waiting and the Mrs can't be mad at me right?!? I'm jealous Bob!

·
1,165 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Now that the boat is dialed in, it's time to talk regulations, restrictions, and requirements.

Are there any special permits that one must acquire prior to placing said boat in said waters? Special petrol?

thanks for any and all help.

Bob

·
Registered
811 Posts
Just don't bring whirling disease or rock snot with you and you're cool. Let the rig dry out for a week and bleach the runners if carpeted.

·
Registered
1,264 Posts
Just don't bring whirling disease or rock snot with you and you're cool. Let the rig dry out for a week and bleach the runners if carpeted.
Good point. Wonder how many of the LML and AB guys with boats think of that.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts