Spey Pages banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
fly fisher 'til it's over
1,183 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So, three of us are planning a trip to the Skeena this fall.

We've got two boats to consider hauling north - 16' Alumaweld drift boat, or flat-bottomed sled.

Drift boat is lighter, easier to tow and maneuver, easier to move on river, etc.
My only question would be shuttle services. I've searched this site for threads involving shuttles, but nothing much comes up. I could take my bike, but I'm not sure how far it is between launch sites. Anything under 15-20 km is easy.

Flat-bottomed sled is heavier, more difficult to move around, but we wouldn't have to worry about a shuttle (I assume).

Given those two choices, what would you consider taking?

Bob

·
Registered
225 Posts
Take the sled or hire a cab for your shuttle. There is some concern from legit guides that shuttling Non Resident Aliens is 'guiding'. I'll leave it to you to interpret the 'grey area'.
There really should be a policy statement by the ministry on the matter. As
it stands, it's a bit murky.

However you decide, I hope you have a successful trip.

·
Registered
400 Posts
Depends on which rivers you plan to fish...

If you are targeting the Bulkley or mainstem Skeena I would bring the sled. If you're more interested in smaller rivers go with the drift boat (watermaster type boats would be even better, especially if this turns out to be a low water year).

·
bow river ninja
220 Posts
no shuttle service out there to move your vehicle, I think that one member miss understood. ;) sled forsure... only a few rivers that I think would be drift boat friendly and not many great "boat launches"

·
fly fisher 'til it's over
1,183 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Now that the boat is dialed in, it's time to talk regulations, restrictions, and requirements.

Are there any special permits that one must acquire prior to placing said boat in said waters? Special petrol?

thanks for any and all help.

Bob

·
Registered
33 Posts
(This thread is 2015 but adding to this in 2021): Are there any new regulations on bringing boats to Canada? I'm bring a zodiac with a small jet motor. I've looked everywhere (including here) to see if I can find information about bringing a boat temporarily to Canada and then returning with it to the US.

Can anyone direct me, please? Thx.

·
Broken Down Spey Freak
3,179 Posts
I can't say for sure in B.C. but here in Ontario I see a lot of American boats going down the road to a destination other than the U.S. I would advise proof of ownership and registration though for both the boat and trailer.

·
Registered
259 Posts
That's a good point.
No official proclamation yet.
But all are assuming it's a done deal.
There are very few fish coming in at all
Lousy situation if you have a lodge booked and paid and a 20 hours flight to get to Vancouver… - all the more during Covid times when flying is a pain-in-the-a** and I have to quarantine when I get back…

·
Registered
433 Posts
(This thread is 2015 but adding to this in 2021): Are there any new regulations on bringing boats to Canada? I'm bring a zodiac with a small jet motor. I've looked everywhere (including here) to see if I can find information about bringing a boat temporarily to Canada and then returning with it to the US.

Can anyone direct me, please? Thx.
Yes actually. If you are driving up from the US, you will be directed (or should be if the agents arnt lazy that day) by border services to an inspection area. Make dam sure your bilge is dry or it will be a giant and possibly expensive trip. They will be checking mostly for zebra mussels and or water millfoil. Should they find ANY, sign of it, you will be required to clean and disinfect right there before crossing. And you will get charged for it. In the summer months, they have inspection stations at the border and along certain highways. As mentioned above though, 99% chance the river will be closing in a week and a half and there are no fish anyway.

·
The Skeena in the fall
630 Posts
Lousy situation if you have a lodge booked and paid and a 20 hours flight to get to Vancouver… - all the more during Covid times when flying is a pain-in-the-a** and I have to quarantine when I get back…
I understand some lodges are allowing cancellation for this year and rolling the booking over to 2022

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.