Spey Pages banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
90 Posts
I personally know of out of province Canadians that were turned away from certain areas last fall from local native bands. Hopefully everyone gets involved TOGETHER to sort out the mess in the skeena region. The fishery is decimated, it's going to take years , and co- operation from both sides to save this fishery.

·
Registered
570 Posts
I was discussing this situation with some pals the other day. I am an unflinching supporter of Indigenous sovereignty but I do think that singling out the sport fishery as the key problem is unproductive. As was said above, cooperation is necessary if anything is to be done. Now, from and Indigenous perspective, if you have been the stigmatized for generations by people in the sport fishing industry as a problem (wink wink Bob Hooton), then this kind of retaliatory gesture is to be expected and warranted. But sadly all this does is allow the government (both provincial and federal) to remain unaccountable. Colonialism 101 is divide and conquer, and it’s still the primary tactic of government here in Canada. I really hope a more collective approach to management/conservation comes out of this. It’s sorely needed.

·
18 foot spey rod DV8
486 Posts
I was discussing this situation with some pals the other day. I am an unflinching supporter of Indigenous sovereignty but I do think that singling out the sport fishery as the key problem is unproductive. As was said above, cooperation is necessary if anything is to be done. Now, from and Indigenous perspective, if you have been the stigmatized for generations by people in the sport fishing industry as a problem (wink wink Bob Hooton), then this kind of retaliatory gesture is to be expected and warranted. But sadly all this does is allow the government (both provincial and federal) to remain unaccountable. Colonialism 101 is divide and conquer, and it’s still the primary tactic of government here in Canada. I really hope a more collective approach to management/conservation comes out of this. It’s sorely needed.
Yes....all sides need to work on the solution because everybody has contributed to the current problems with the BC fishery. These were the same issues with the East Coast salmon fishery which has shown some improvement over the years, but still is an ongoing challenge to restore returns to their former levels.
Regards from the Restigouche....Jim

·
Registered
503 Posts
As long as the recreational in-river salmon (including steelhead) fishery is managed on an unrestricted access, unlimited effort zero-sum game basis, there are going to be issues and conflicts.

As long as resident and non-residents continue to mislead and lie to themselves and the general public about the so-called economic 'benefits' (sic) of open-access style sport fishing, there will be no progress.

As long as anglers continue to delude themselves about the benefits of catch and release recreational fisheries for migratory salmonids, there will be no reconciliation.

Reactions: adamess

·
Registered
570 Posts
Well said. I will also add that as long as non-Indigenous anglers continue to understand that their access to these fisheries is a right, rather than an extreme privilege, there will be no reconciliation.

As long as the recreational in-river salmon (including steelhead) fishery is managed on an unrestricted access, unlimited effort zero-sum game basis, there are going to be issues and conflicts.

As long as resident and non-resident continue to mislead and lie to themselves and the general public about the so-called economic 'benefits' (sic) of open-access style sport fishing, there will be no progress.

As long as anglers continue to delude themselves about the benefits of catch and release recreational fisheries for migratory salmonids, there will be no reconciliation.

·
The Skeena in the fall
456 Posts
This issue seems to come up every year about this time.
I believe it is a standard FN negotiating method to get sports fishermen and guides to pressure the Govt.

I'm not sure FN could muster enough bodies to close off every public access point not on FN reserves.
Then there is the issue of salmon being a federally managed fishery and steelhead being a provincial fish.
Restricting steelhead fishing and incurring the ire of the sports fishery won't really help FN on salmon fishing issues.

Of course if you have a boat and launch it at public launch sites I can't see a person being bothered at all.
There is really too much river to effectively close it all down to all fishing.

I might add my experience, after working in the area years ago, is that local Skeena sport fisherman may not share the views expressed by adamess and enso.

Meantime I plan to spend all of September in Terrace fishing the Skeena and Zymoetz and don't expect any FN interference.
I also don't expect many steelhead.

·
Registered
661 Posts
This is an article I recently read that discusses the many problem without definite solutions relative to the OP fishery. It is worth a read IMO.

·
Registered
1,985 Posts
This is an article I recently read that discusses the many problem without definite solutions relative to the OP fishery. It is worth a read IMO.

Unfortunately this is another feel good article that does nothing to really shed light on the reel underlying problems for the OP and completely unrelated to the issues on the Skeena.
They both have issues that are similar but the OP's is driven by one simple problem, over harvest by the treaty tribes of the region.
The Queets river that has 95% of its habitat protected by a Nation park is netted 5 to 6 days a week, yet has not met escapement in decades. If not for floods these fish would have been exterminated already.
The Quinalt River is so overwhelmed with unmarked hatchery fish and so heavily netted that even the tribe has shut down fisheries the last 2 years.
The Quiliute system has 2 rivers that has some of the best habitat in the US and yet still gets heavily netted, regardless of any sport fishing restrictions applied the sports catch 120% of the fish that pass the nets. While escapement numbers look good I am doubtful of them.
It is now open for spring Chinook so the tribes can gill nett, and guess what the recs can do? fish from boats and use bait again, and guess what they will catch and the gill nets?
The last stragglers coming in and the kelts and smolts heading out to sea!

Washington is so F#$%ed I expect our steelhead fisheries to completely end in a few years! Not because of sport fisherman but because our state can not make the decisions needed to protect the habitat. Be it fresh or saltwater and because they have zero sway on how the way the tribes fish.

·
Registered
412 Posts
I understand their frustration but they know as well as every other person that the in river sportfishing community has little to do with the downfall of the Skeena fishery. Its strictly a pressure tactic and threats. I for one however am losing respect for the FN more and more when they pull BS like this. The biggest issue I see with FN statements like this latest one is that all it takes is one idiot hot head, on either side to do something stupid and it escalates quickly. I dunno. Maybe that's all part of it? Just try to confiscate some ******* ABs boat as see what happens.....lol. We all know this whole thing has little to do with the actual fish. Its all about power and control of the resources and the land. Personally, I could care less who controls it. Hell, I will buy my fishing lic off the First Nations if they were given it all to manage. Just as long as I still have access, I don't care.......yeah its a selfish statement but hey, I want to fish. Not going to sugar coat it.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts