Spey Pages banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
El cheapo specials
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I may have gone a little mad the past week. Been away from the vice for a couple weeks and had an insatiable need to tie some skaters (I can’t even claim to have swung riffled muddlers more than a few times). Enjoy these - some flies originated by Harry Lemire, Lee Wulff, Roderick Haig-Brown, Al Troth, Cal Bird, Ron Grantham, and Elmer Smith (and likely a couple others I’ve missed amongst the pile).

I am hoping someone might be able to share some classic swung/skated/wake patterns with me so I can continue down this road. Thanks to all the guys who have shared patterns and flies here and instagram that I’ve been able to use as detailed templates

·
Registered
426 Posts
Very nice selection you've got there! I love the skater tubes. I tie something similar with a bit of hi-vis foam, and that thing just will not sink. Leave a bit of tube in front of the thread head, and burn a few holes to give you the option to hitch it as well!

·
Premium Member
3,820 Posts
Those are really beautiful.

I have a feeling you might think of this one as far from being a “classic”, if not an abomination, but it may well be one one day - especially if foam ever becomes obscure and expensive. I know it was originally designed to be “merely” functionally sufficient but it has become pretty popular and well known - in OR and NorCal at least. I wonder how many real “classics” started off as “quick and dirty” ideas originally.

That skater is Todd Hirano’s “little wang”. No hitch required. I think of it especially as the instruction he wrote for it on his blog are actually some of the nicest written fly instructions I have come across - great for people like me who actually need them.

The...um...”wang” is for better visibility which is also great for me personally. He sells a few on here every once in a while.

Anyway, back to prettier flies. :)

·
Registered
El cheapo specials
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Good stuff, some nice looking ties there.
Thank you kindly.
Very nice selection you've got there! I love the skater tubes. I tie something similar with a bit of hi-vis foam, and that thing just will not sink. Leave a bit of tube in front of the thread head, and burn a few holes to give you the option to hitch it as well!
Meant to do that one the bomber but forgot. The granthams on the tubes are meant to be short as part of the reason for the bulky head was so you didn’t have to riffle them.
Top row. 2nd from left. Can we get a photo of that one? Stonefly?
That’s Al Troth’s stonefly pattern. The yellow one was a bit skinny and out of proportion to my taste so I redid it as the black and pink one. Look up Seth Cavaretta’s instagram for some nice examples

Hitch that green one and Muddler in the picture above….then hold on tight.
No muddlers here 😉. The green one is Harry Lemire’s Grease Liner with a colour change, the “muddlers” are variants of his Thompson River Caddis and Travelling Sedge patterns. I subbed deer for moose as I don’t have any.
Those are really beautiful.

I have a feeling you might think of this one as far from being a “classic”, if not an abomination, but it may well be one one day - especially if foam ever becomes obscure and expensive. I know it was originally designed to be “merely” functionally sufficient but it has become pretty popular and well known - in OR and NorCal at least. I wonder how many real “classics” started off as “quick and dirty” ideas originally.

That skater is Todd Hirano’s “little wang”. No hitch required. I think of it especially as the instruction he wrote for it on his blog are actually some of the nicest written fly instructions I have come across - great for people like me who actually need them.

The...um...”wang” is for better visibility which is also great for me personally. He sells a few on here every once and a while.

Anyway, back to prettier flies. :)
Was trying to avoid foam for these but I love that pattern and have tied in the past (and again last night 😅

Very nice.
The Grease-Liners on tubes will really fish!
Those ones are Grantham’s sedge - only difference is the missing tail tho.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts