Spey Pages banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
368 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Assuming you are not riffle hitching a muddler, what not would you all use to attach a larger foam skating fly?

·
Registered
270 Posts
I had trouble with line twisting til I started using an open loop knot when skating flies. So I would give that a try and see if it works for you. Good luck!

·
Registered
368 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I’ve heard that some people use one of those tiny swivels 18 inches or so above the fly to prevent twisting. Wondering if that counts as adding weight

·
Registered
205 Posts
I tie mostly down eye hooks for my skaters so I run a turl knot up from the bottom. I'm using either 12 or 15# maxima so no twisting issues there. I can't imagine that a skater eater is too leader shy...

·
Registered
102 Posts
I tie mostly down eye hooks for my skaters so I run a turl knot up from the bottom. I'm using either 12 or 15# maxima so no twisting issues there. I can't imagine that a skater eater is too leader shy...
Do you use twelve pound even on smaller skaters. I have been thinking about it, but it sounds so strange, because of my trout background.

·
Registered
205 Posts
Do you use twelve pound even on smaller skaters. I have been thinking about it, but it sounds so strange, because of my trout background.
I do! I'd say I run 12 or 15# about 95% of the time.

A friend of mine fishes a #8 buck bug on 15# up on the Bulkley and lights them up. Even in low and clear water and mid-day sun. If it works then it should work anytime right?

I also just like being able to put the wood to a fish. Skater eaters are generally hot fish so have a nice stout leader makes it easier for me to grab the leader at the end of the fight.

I might miss out on a fish or two a season but thats a sacrifice I'm willing to make.

·
Registered
102 Posts
I do! I'd say I run 12 or 15# about 95% of the time.

A friend of mine fishes a #8 buck bug on 15# up on the Bulkley and lights them up. Even in low and clear water and mid-day sun. If it works then it should work anytime right?

I also just like being able to put the wood to a fish. Skater eaters are generally hot fish so have a nice stout leader makes it easier for me to grab the leader at the end of the fight.

I might miss out on a fish or two a season but thats a sacrifice I'm willing to make.
Thanks, I thought so, but wanted to make sure. I would also think the heavier line would help keep the skater riding higher in the surface due to increased tension.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts