Spey Pages banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2,095 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Finally with a break in the rain and some agreeable tides, I was able spend a couple of hours on my local river.

First I worked out with my Skagit 450, Rio 15' 678 floating tip, 15' Rio Steelhead leader, 2' of tippet and a size 4 Bomber on a Loop 3W with my 6126.

In a few minutes I found the grove and was shooting 2-4 rod lengths of shooting line plus the head, tip and leader with my semi Skagit and Skagit Double Spey. I did this for about an hour with minimal if any strain. 90% of my casts were in the groove and went out very nicely.

Then I tried the Rio Outbound WF10 425 grain floater with a 15' leader and the same tippet and fly on a Redington CD 9/19 reel.

Immediately things changed and for the most part not for the better. The line never really loaded the 6126. I was lucky to shoot 2 rod lengths of running line and 1 to 1.5 rod lengths was the average.

I had to think about each cast and used the Jeff Putnam/Fred Perry Poke recovery casts on about 85% of my casts. About 5% of my casts felt semi good and looked semi good.:eek:

Another problem is the Redington CD didn't balance the rod and the rod was tip heavy. I'm feeling the burn and soreness/ache from that miss fit about two hours later. :(

About 10 minutes before I quit, I took off the Redington CD reel and OB, and remounted my Skagit 450 with the Loop 3W with the same leader, tippet and fly. A couple of casts later, I was back in the groove and enjoying my casting inspite of the burn from the too light reel.

Summary: The Rio Outbound 10w floater and Redington CD reel work great with my Sage 5120, was a perfect fit. The combo was fun to use. On my Sage 6126, they were a miss fit :mad: and not fun to use.

·
Registered
200 Posts
Fish! Get your priorites straight.

Have the Shack Nasties overwhelmed you? Casting practice is cool for those that cannot fish. Did you hook any fish?:tsk_tsk:

·
Registered
646 Posts
Sounds to me like you're "searching for the magic bullet"....

Been there, done that! Expensive lessons no less! Stick with the Skagit and catch some fish.
Chris

·
Registered
2,095 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Cabin fever is overwhelming all of us down in unsunny N California

Mark Vegwert said:
Have the Shack Nasties overwhelmed you? Casting practice is cool for those that cannot fish. Did you hook any fish?:tsk_tsk:
It had rained fairly hard over the 2 days :p before I fished and rained before and right after dawn. :( Most fish are more interested in survival than chasing a fly in heavy water.

Last but not least unless you are fishing with bait, this is a river that requires you to be in a boat to catch fish. With the stuff in the river from our New Years Eve storm and still coming down, I'm not taking any boat into the river yet.

Where I cast is 5 minutes away. I rig up my rod or rods in my driveway, put them on my rod holders and drive 5 minutes. In another 5 minutes I am casting. At the end of the casting, I reverse the process to come home in 10 minutes. It ain't the best, but it sure beats trying to cast on the grass or not casting.:)

·
Registered
2,095 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
It is nice to have a magic bullet and a silver backup bullet

FLGator said:
Sounds to me like you're "searching for the magic bullet"....

Been there, done that! Expensive lessons no less! Stick with the Skagit and catch some fish.
Chris
The results with the OB10W Floater were excellent :) with my 5120, and I wondered how it would work with my Sage 6126. I tried it, and the results were not good :mad: . Since I owned this line and reel, I wasn't out any extra money. I just invested about an hour to discover that this combo didn't work with my trusty 6126.

I did learn that if I go fishing for average fish, I can use my 5120 with the OB10F with better efficiency and less strain on Grampa. With Meiser's 5/6 Switch Rod and the OB8F and the 5120 w/the OB 10F, I can cover basically most waters I fish in the spring, summer and fall.

Another important lesson was re learned. That is the importance of the reel balancing your rod. When I got started in this addiction, Bob Pauli told me to be sure and balance the rod with the reel. This was backed up by Simon. The balance was poor yesterday with the Redington CD 9/10 :( and my Sage 6126. If the reel doesn't balance your rod, you might end up doing some damage to your shoulder, elbows and arms:( .

·
Registered
80 Posts
Reel rod balance

Grampa Spey,

I saw in your post that you have the Skagit 450 on a Loop 3W on the 6120. From other posts, I think you also use the 3W on your Switch 7/8. I'm looking at Meiz's Switch 10'6" 7/8 or 8/9 or one of the new MKS Upstream 12'6" 7/8, which Meiz is sending me. Philster will let me play around on a Saturday with his Beulah Switch 7/8 at Aaron's. I want to put the Danielsson LW 8twelve on these rods. I heard that the 8twelve will balance. Do you think that the LW 8-12 will be too heavy for the Switch 7/8? Thanks...Nak

·
Registered
2,095 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
cnaka

In my old hands, Meise's Switch Rods are more tolerant re balance than with the longer Spey Rods. The 7/8 works well with the Loop 3W, Orvis Battenkill Large Arbor 8/9 and in my recent trials with the Redington CD 9/10,

Try the Danielson for at least 30 minutes, and if you like it and feel comfortable with, buy it and use it.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Hey Grampa Spey,I'm in the same situation.The rivers here on V.I. have been blown out for the last month.Like you,I'm getting cabin fever also,so at times I go down to the beach to cast different lines on different rods because I enjoy it and always learn something and consider myself fortunate that I can do that.I enjoy reading your posts and have learned from your observations and have applied some of them to my arsenal.Thanx

·
Registered
2,095 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Cannon

Cannon said:
Hey Grampa Spey,I'm in the same situation.The rivers here on V.I. have been blown out for the last month.Like you,I'm getting cabin fever also,so at times I go down to the beach to cast different lines on different rods because I enjoy it and always learn something and consider myself fortunate that I can do that.I enjoy reading your posts and have learned from your observations and have applied some of them to my arsenal.Thanx
Thanks! We learn by sharing with others, then trying what we learned, and then sharing again with others. This site is a terrific resource for all of us.

Last but not least, trying new lines/rods and what ever on real fishing trips cut into the fishing time. It is best to try lines and rods out before fishing with them. When we finally get some fishing time, I will not be wasting fishing time trying my Outbound 10W floater :( with my 6126. Also, I know that line and my new Redington CD 9/10 worked well in practice with ;) my 5120.

The cabin fever is hitting the non fishers and non out door types down here. My wife and I did some shopping yesterday, and it was amazing how many people were standing in the parking lots getting the rare sun and sometimes just talking to each other and other shoppers. Restaurants with outdoor seating were packed for lunch yesterday with diners basking in the rare sun and 60 degree weather.

·
Registered
68 Posts
How lucky you are!

We're "enjoying" -20*C(0-farengheit I think)... But after a month out of water I gone to the only place of clean water in my town. Now I know :(
that cast after cast this temperature makes line change its weight because of icing. I could resist only half an hour. But achieved a good back stroke to produce lazer cut forward loop. But what to do? Weather report gives no optimism.

·
Registered
2,095 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
One of our neighbors complained about it being 34 degrees this morning

Rybkin Alex said:
We're "enjoying" -20*C(0-farengheit I think)... But after a month out of water I gone to the only place of clean water in my town. Now I know :(
that cast after cast this temperature makes line change its weight because of icing. I could resist only half an hour. But achieved a good back stroke to produce lazer cut forward loop. But what to do? Weather report gives no optimism.
One of our neighbors, who was out walking when I was walking was complaining about it being so cold at 34 degrees. I asked her if she was a native born Californian. She said, "I was born in San Diego!". I just grinned and laughed. :chuckle:

1 - 12 of 12 Posts