Spey Pages banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have never spey cast before but want to try this upcoming season. I live in Southern Vancouver Island and want to build the rod myself. I have been told that the skagit style is the best for this area. I have been looking at the Forecast 13' 8/9 weight rod blank. What would be the best line for this rod? Is this a good starter rod?

I appreciate any and all advice.

Thanks

·
Perfecting the bad cast
206 Posts
I recommend that you start with the 12.5 foot Forecast, rather than the 13 footer. It is far less work to cast and all the rod you will need for any fish you might encounter including big Chinook. When you start out, line the 12.5 footer with a 550 grain Rio Skagit line (or similar weight belly from other line makers). Loop on sink or floating tips in the 125-150 grain range and you'll be in business!

·
Registered
35 Posts
Storm,
I totally agree with Bert. I built the 12.5 7/8 Forecast a few months back. It is at least a 9 weight in practical terms. I used single foot guides on the tip section to aid in recovery. I can send you the guide spcing data if you like, as I went back to Batson 3 times before I was satisfied. The rod will easily handle a 550Gr Skagit belly and 14' of T14 or whatever else you have in mind. It will fish easily in the 80 to 90 foot range and further if you choose.
Rich

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.