Spey Pages banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all,

I recent bought my first spey rod, a 7wt Winston Kairos and I'm looking for advice on Skagit line setups. The manufacturer suggests a 510-570 grain window. I bought an Airflo 540 Gr skagit compact head and some T8, T11, and T14 tips. I am taking some lessons and have been watching casting videos like it's my job.

I'd like to hear more about folk's experience with this rod and various setups. Do you have any suggestions for other things I should be trying while still very early in my learning curve? Thanks a bunch!

-Ross

·
Registered
415 Posts
You should be right in the sweet spot. I love the middle of the grain window for a standard compact skagit (or skagit max) and a little on the low end for a Scout (formerly the airflo skagit switch).

Keep up with the videos and get plenty of practice.. For what its worth, I thought Tom Larimer's recent DVD was the best skagit casting instruction I've seen. Might be worth checking out.

Finally, I believe Brian Silvey had a bunch of input on those rods. I'd be curious what lines he is using on them.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It's funny that you mention the Tom Larimer DVD. Skagit Revolution by Tom Larimer just hit my doorstep via Amazon Prime the other day. I watched the first few sections today and then hit the river in town for a few minutes. My cast has already changed and improved dramatically. I can't wait to watch the rest and then watch it again... and again.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts