Spey Pages banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Steelhead are cool!
572 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was wondering what/is the original "Skagit cast". I read a lot about the history of spey casting and thought it would be nice to get the Northwest history.

·
Registered
640 Posts
Don't know, but a guess...

I'd guess based on my experience trying to learn to match lines for tips and get tips deep when winter fishing, that it was probably a double spey used by anglers who had continued to cut and create the "launcher" style lines with short-fat bellies and heavy tip materials. With those kinds of lines, I often end up casting from the middle or bottom half of the blank, and the whole thing isn't very timing sensitive. Why fight for "touch-and-go" timing when it works great to more or less get the line out front and heave it out to fishland.

I'll be interested to see the real story, 'cuz the above is more like my history.

·
Member FRSCA
2,264 Posts
More info... Me To....

I would like to get alot more info in this style fishing. I recently got a hold of a dealer promo of the new Skagit line from Rio, but it didn't come with directions ;) . I have been fishing it on my 1308SAS, with the 9wt tips from my SSH. The way Carl termed it as a "Launch" kind of made a bit of sense to me. I have a kinda-sorta snake roll down pat pretty good, seems I am anchoring/sticking a ways behind me, 5-7ft?, honestly haven't really looked. I really like the ease, and lack of precise timing required. I did manage a brief battle with an unseen fish of some sorts on it yesterday, so I am doing something right.

·
JD
3,641 Posts
Skagit head? Snake roll????

Where have you guys been? Snake rolls on Skagit lines go together about as well as short rods and long belly lines. Can be done, but not really the best combination as the Skagit system relies on a lot of line stick. The snake roll, on the other hand, does not.

Do a search for "Skagit casting" and you will find several posts on this.

·
#&%*@^# Caster
3,058 Posts
Agree with JD on the snake. Harder to do with short skagit lines, doable but there are alot of other casts that will work better.

However I was working out my new RIO skagit line today and was doing a snake into a perry poke. The snake to get the tip up with little effort and the poke to create the all important water tension you need to properly execute a skagit cast. Basically just dump the forward cast of the snake onto the water and then reform your D-Loop and go.

The times I did hit it that line goes like a rocket...

-sean

·
Registered
638 Posts
Big K

I think you would have to go back to at least the mid 80's and then think about the guys that were fishing the skagit with the two hander. I don't think there were many back then but the ones that come to mind are Harry Lemire and Mike Kinney I am sure there are more but can't think of the names right now. I do know these guys were the pioneers of the original Skagit type lines and adapted there casting to fit these lines to make it as effortless as possible to cover the wide pools of the Skagit. I think these early pioneers deserve alot of credit for developing the lines and the technique that is now being called Skagit casting.

·
JD
3,641 Posts
Snake Poke?

sean said:
I was working out my new RIO skagit line today and was doing a snake into a perry poke. The snake to get the tip up with little effort and the poke to create the all important water tension you need to properly execute a skagit cast. Basically just dump the forward cast of the snake onto the water and then reform your D-Loop and go. The times I did hit it that line goes like a rocket...-sean
So what do you call that Sean? A Snake Poke???? :D

highlander2 said:
the pioneers of the original Skagit type lines (and) adapted there casting to fit these lines to make it as effortless as possible.
Somehow I had it in my little pea brain tha it was the other way around. The pioneers of Skagit casting modified the lines first and then adapted their casting style.... Oh well,,,whatever,,,,,they did come up with an affortless way of tossing big flies & sink tips.

·
Jolly Buddha
504 Posts
I saw one guy buy a new rod (mid to early 90's) and cut 6 to 8 inches ? to match his line

·
Registered
1,273 Posts
A little history...

The original catalyst for using shooting heads came from Goran Anderssen when he visited Sage to provide input for their first "Speyrods". Jim Green, Harry Lemire, and Bob Strobel then took Goran's concept and applied it to PNW fishing. The heads were very short (32'), and splash-n-go principles were used, and they were in fact trying to emulate Goran's style (casting stroke).

A few years later a new group of "young bucks" appeared onto the Skagit river, saw how efficiently the "old boys" were with the "new method", and so took up using the "Speyrod" themselves. Through a process of much trial and error, and definitely because of an omission of "formal" training or instruction (in retrospect, a fortunate circumstance, otherwise the knowledge that we were "doing it wrong" would probably have quelled the whole situation), they eventually hashed out and invented "Skagit casting". It mostly developed through the fact that traditional splash-n-go approaches did not handle fast sinking sinktip/large fly combinations very well.

I should add here that besides the more "public" figures associated with Skagit casting - Dec Hogan, Scott O'Donnell, and myself - that there are also other, "anonymous" persons who have been very instrumental to the development/growth of Skagit casting, but whose aversion to public exposure precludes the presentation of their names.

At present, the most info about Skagit casting is here on the Speypages. There are no thorough or complete videos or books out on the subject yet... mostly because it is still a relatively "young" method, and because prior to this year there were no lines specifically dedicated to this casting style. This circumstance should be changing in the near future.

·
Registered
1,273 Posts
Skagit casts

Skagit lines are designed to work best with those casts that use a prolonged anchor... C Spey/Snap T, Perry Poke, DoubleSpey executed with a prolonged anchor (Skagit style Double). You can most certainly accomplish any other cast with a Skagit line, but you will not achieve comparable line speed/power as with a prolonged anchor type of cast.

I sometimes use a SingleSpey (splash-n-go) with my Skagit lines, specifically when doing short casts - less than the head length - but when it comes time to "rip out" some distance, or develop fast line speed to overcome wind, I go straight to a prolonged anchor type of cast.

·
Member FRSCA
2,264 Posts
JDJones said:
Where have you guys been? Snake rolls on Skagit lines go together about as well as short rods and long belly lines. Can be done, but not really the best combination as the Skagit system relies on a lot of line stick. The snake roll, on the other hand, does not.

Do a search for "Skagit casting" and you will find several posts on this.
Exactly why I called it a "kinda-sorta snake roll". Maybe I'm way off. The line went out a good 70ft, a fish hit it, thats why I am out there in waste deep fast moving, ice cold water in the ghetto of Grand Rapids MI. Maybe if I was someplace more picturesque, I would be more worried about making the perfect cast. :razz:

·
Coast2coast Flyfishaholic
1,771 Posts
I've been doing the snake poke for a couple of years now, short lines not a problem and feel it's a good substitute for the double if you like the efficiency of a snake verses double as I do in all circumstances while fishing.

Just remember the following to prevent pounding the perry poke portion out of proportion :lildevl: :

- the standard snake roll uses a steady start-up to a powerful finish to the rear & high (d-loop / backcast position)

- the snake poke slows down after the intial roll with a calm finish to the front & low (prolonged anchor)

I works like a charm.

·
Skidrow Woolley Fly Club
387 Posts
I wonder who that guy was that whacked off 6 or 8 inches of his new spey rod? Trying to make it fast I would assume.

·
Steelhead are cool!
572 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
This subject would make a great book. I would love to read about the ol' group and there exploits on the Sauk/Skagit.

·
Registered
1,111 Posts
Hey Kevin,

I think that all you guys down at Aaron Reimer's shop in Carnation every Saturday are already part of this history.

.....Especially Mike Kinney: One of those silent voices in all of this.

My guess is that a book could be easily be written on the stories told at the end of every Saturdays' gatherings alone...};^) !!!!!

Meiz

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.