Spey Pages banner
1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
1,273 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
...with the recent arrival and resulting availability of "off the shelf" Skagit lines, I observed throughout this Winter/Spring season, a much higher percentage of folks actually being able to cast and fish EFFECTIVELY with their doublehanded rods, instead of totally FLAILING away and frothing the water up with almost no chance for hooking a fish. So, to all those anti-Skagiter's out there - PHFLLLLLTTTTTT - a big raspberry to you! The proof is in the pudding, and Skagit pudding is very SWEET!

·
loco alto!
3,109 Posts
The popularity of the style can't be denied - much like instant pudding - perhaps reflecting a uniquely American desire for instant gratification and taking the easy way out. Nothing wrong with that. I myself do enjoy instant varieties of pudding and casting from time to time, though I can't deny that I'm more satisfied overall when they're made the old fashioned way with T.L.C. (total line control)

·
Registered
3,042 Posts
Oh goody! Let's have at 'er - there won't be any fishing (at least until the tribe heads for the Sandy) so we can use some entertainment! :devil:

·
Indicators Anonymous
846 Posts
Riveraddict said:
..I observed throughout this Winter/Spring season, a much higher percentage of folks actually being able to cast and fish EFFECTIVELY with their doublehanded rods
but why would we want to do such a thing??? i dunno about you but i didn't start fishing the doublehanded to cast and fish effectively.

i wanna be able to cast 120' so i can show up at my 10 year class reunion (holy sh*t that is only a few years away.) and look at all those dumbasses that gave me swirlies and wedgies and told me i wouldnt get any tail and say "HA!...look at me, I can cast farther then you....Hell I can cast farther that anyone here....and I'm gettin' lots of tail because of it!"!! the doublehander will allow me to do that.

·
#&%*@^# Caster
3,058 Posts
Skagit is for people who can't cast. Anyone can fling the flying yellow banana turd. If I wanted easy I would pull out some gear rods.:razz:

-sean

·
Registered
1,273 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Can't fish...

...might as well have some fun! So much for that myth that bananas in the boat are bad luck - mine had lots of those "flying yellow turds" in it and fishing was GREAT! I just loved that afternoon upstream wind that was an everyday occurrence during the last week of the season, how those flying yellow turds punched through it effectively, while those long lines were landing on the water in a pile like a pot of cooked spaghetti. Phfllllllt!

Hmmmmm... maybe I'll paint my boats yellow!?

·
Relapsed Speyaholic
5,533 Posts
Why do I feel that the moderators will nedd to moderate the moderators before this one is over.

Bananas, pudding, turds, hardware and Sparkey getting lots of tail. At least one of these items (hardware) seems out of place. :hihi:

Damn! Three days down and 28 to go.

·
Registered
267 Posts
Its all fun and games until someone slinging a long belly takes a 1/0 in the ear and has to go to the hospital and ruin everyones weekend...........:eek:

All because they think that casting a long belly is the traditional way to go. No thanks! I will take modern skillls, lines and modern rods over tradition any day of the week. I will take shooting 50-80 feet of line and 5-6 inch weighted string leach over that any day..........................:smokin:

·
Registered
889 Posts
Is a 54' head considered as 'long' in this game? I choked on a Skagit line for a week. Praised it's utilitarian advantage when fishing under and in the trees for those fish lying about 27" off the beach. But when fishing runs that actually allow for casting there are two things that sat squarely in me craw:

1) The stripping required sucks big time. After a frickin' week it didn't take long to remember why I learned to cast a longer line to begin with. Having to strip to reach out to all of 85' MAX makes little sense.
2) The total lack of skill to pull off Neanderthal Casting leaves just a bit to be desired in the satisfaction department. :razz:

Tight lines,

William

·
Skidrow Woolley Fly Club
387 Posts
My flying turds were all green. Green bananas anyone? pllffffsssttts.:smokin:

Sparky, something about your post is all wrong. I still think you should seek some professional help and quickly.

·
Registered
3,042 Posts
Okay, no offense to to any line manufacturers... but on a recent trip a friend of mine discovered a new use for a 750 gr skagit-type line :chuckle:

Attachments

·
Registered
1,273 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Amusing Kush...

...but not very creative. That's just sooooo light duty. I take my worn out lines and donate them to the U.S. Navy. They put them to good use as arresting cables on aircraft carriers. Seems the stretch factor is just perfect for stopping 63,000 pounds of airplane in a quick but smooth manner.

Kerry, it's all good - raw bananas, ripe bananas - they all work great!

William, this year on the Skagit 85' = too far. 27" off the beach was far more productive.

Steve, yeah it sucks not being able to control a Skagit line. Boy, when we figure out how to do it THEN we're REALLY gonna be into the fish!

More pudding anyone?

·
PiscatorNonSolumPiscatur
822 Posts
a great experience

My first Skagit go-round allowed me to fish in places tighter than I ever tried before. I fished in winds that I would have avoided before. Also, I was not as tired at the end of the day. This was also my first at using a rod shorter than 15'. :cool:
I had a great time, but boy am I jonesing to get out with a long rod and a long dry line. :D

·
Indicators Anonymous
846 Posts
sinktip said:
Damn! Three days down and 28 to go.
not unless you mind going for a little drive. however, for many that is easier said then done. some of us arent tied down which cant be said for some people i know...... :razz:

·
Degenerate caster
1,180 Posts
I love my factory Skagit head ,the factory loops are far better than I can make,and tip's and rabbit flesh are no problem,wind-tight banks-tree's,,same deal.
some day I might start spicing up my own heads but for now I'll keep fishing my Airflo.
don't get me wrong as my carron 85 footer get's cast a lot too,as does my XLT and I'm chomping at the bit to get a 95 foot carron as well as a 16 foot rod as well.
want to get funny looks on the Kispiox,start launching some perry pokes and Skagit double's.

·
Registered
625 Posts
Skagit Pudding

Sean,
What the hell is that site about, It must be Kilts US style, can you guy's not leave anything alone, i think anyone into speycasting should be made to come to the Spey, and see what its all about.:saeek:

·
Registered
3,042 Posts
RA... good idea! Poul was going to replace the 3/8" steel cable on his winch - now he can just use that 750 gr line - excellent!

Gordon, by the same token, anyone who wants to find out what Skagit casting is all about should come to the Skagit! Besides, should you fall in the river you can always hang your clothes out to dry on your flyline:chuckle:

·
Relapsed Speyaholic
5,533 Posts
want to get funny looks on the Kispiox,start launching some perry pokes and Skagit double's.
I guess I wasn't looking at the looks others were giving. The Kispiox is a lovely river for Skagit style. This year I saved the long lines for the Bulkley and the mainstem Skeena and fished a Skagit line almost exclusively on the K.

·
Registered
625 Posts
Skagit pudding

Hi Tyler,
Fished the Skagit a couple of months ago with Way, great day and Way got me into the casting of that thing, was really good fun.
Should be back over next month, to meet up with some guy's and chill out in the Okanogan.
Gordon.:smokin:

1 - 20 of 37 Posts