Spey Pages banner
1 - 20 of 64 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
looking for help and advice for skagit lines for loomis 13'4 7/8 weight
new to skagit casting and any help would be of great help thanks a lot:confused:

·
Registered
1,273 Posts
490 to 510 grains...

is about the "target" you want to achieve. That includes the weight of whatever tips you plan on using. I would suggest purchasing a "Skagit" line in the 450 grain range, establishing the weight of tips you will be using, then cutting the Skagit line back until its weight when combined with the weight of your tips equals 510 grains. If it's a bit heavy it can always be trimmed back a bit.

Also, any high density sinktips for this rod should run in the 8 to 10 grains per foot class. Heavier than that will just cause problems in your casting. Keep in mind that this rod is on par in "power" levels somewhere between the Sage 12' 5 weight and the Sage 12 1/2' 6 weight. In other words this is a very light Speyrod.

·
swing'n Lemmings
206 Posts
I am throwing a rio skagit 450 with 5 to 10 feet of t-14 usually 7 or 8 feet. I find that I have to really slow things down when I am using this rod. it is hard to go from my 9/10 to this 7/8. but the 7/8 is my favorite of the 3 rods I have now

Rambo

·
Registered
779 Posts
I've been wondering what people think of the Airflo skagit lines. There doesn't seem to be a wealth of info available on them as regards their taper vs. rio's. Airflo's site doesn't have anything. Nothing on rajeff's site either. I have found the grain wts & lengths online, but some sites say the tip material is included in the weight while others don't. What's the story?

·
Indicators Anonymous
846 Posts
Trevor said:
I've been wondering what people think of the Airflo skagit lines. There doesn't seem to be a wealth of info available on them as regards their taper vs. rio's. Airflo's site doesn't have anything. Nothing on rajeff's site either. I have found the grain wts & lengths online, but some sites say the tip material is included in the weight while others don't. What's the story?
ive cast the rio and and the corresponding airlflo's on many differant rods. when it comes to throwing laser tight loops with a really 'smooth' feel the airflo rocks (it will usually throw a bit farther as well) especially on the aforementioned Loomis but when it comes to turnover and the fishing characteristics of the line, i definately prefer the rio.

regarding the grain weights that you are seeing published, airflo publishes both with and without the tips so it really depends upon your source.

·
Registered
1,273 Posts
Basically it comes down to...

..,if you want to throw your heaviest tips and/or flies use the RIO. If you fish with more standard stuff and would like a smoother, more even performing cast then use the Airflo.

Rambo,
someday you might want to try the 490 to 510 line weight. You might be surprised at the different feel.

·
Registered
779 Posts
Seems I need to order myself an airflo line. I'm wondering, ryan, how the fishability of the airflo differs from the rio.

·
Indicators Anonymous
846 Posts
Trevor said:
Seems I need to order myself an airflo line. I'm wondering, ryan, how the fishability of the airflo differs from the rio.
see RA's above post. on a particular rod, for the Hell of it I threw the 8/9 Airflo on it and found that it outperformed the Rio 550 (i found it to load my rod more to my liking). i fished it for a time being but became frustrated with the lack of turnover when throwing larger flies (which the Rio does so well). i sat down, tweaked the Rio to my liking to get the load i was after and I haven't pulled out the airflo since.

·
swing'n Lemmings
206 Posts
Thanks Ed

Thanks I will certainly try that this fall. when I first got the rod rio was only making the skagits in 450 550 650 and 750. I am hesitent to cut the line as I am fishing out of a boat and I already have to pay extra attention to not Pull the anchor on the forward cast. any shorter and I think ill pull it all of the time.I did get to test the SA 500 grain Skagit line this summer(thanks Pappy)and it certainly cast better then the 550 with 10 ft of t14. what is your grain window on the 8/9 glx. are you using t-14 on your 7/8? as for cast wehn I fish out of the front of the boat I am usually throwing a circle/c Spey and from the rear it is a double or a cast Neil tought me I think he called it a reverse C. we use it alot when ther are 2 people casting in the boat.thanks for all of the info you and other masters have given out here in this forum I can say is has greatly increased my fishing and casting enjoyment.
Thanks
Rambo

·
Registered
1,273 Posts
Grainage...

...for the 13' 4" 7/8 Dredger I like to target 510 grains and use the Airflo CCT-200 at 10 grains per foot for making sinktips.
...for the 13' 9" 8/9 Dredger I run around 590 grains and make sinktips for it from T-14.

With the appearance of the Skagit lines I no longer go through the trouble of building "custom" lines involving compound tapers. I instead use both the RIO and Airflo "Skagits" and cut the lines back from off the front end to the point that when they are combined with my tips they achieve the exact weight I desire. I have two lines for each rod, one made with the RIO, and one made with the Airflo, and use them interchangeably as per the reasons I stated where each line excels.

By the way, the Airflo lines are designed off of a formula that I submitted to Tim Rajeff and were aimed at achieving a Skagit head that would align more with fishing "standard" sizes of flies in a very smooth, more "classic" manner. In that purpose I think that Airflo did a great job of achieving that goal. So now, instead of competing line companies offering lines with the same exact function, there is a wider "choice" depending on one's particular needs for Skagit casting.

Also, there are two approaches to matching a Skagit head to rods. One is to buy the head and then "build up" the tips to achieve the desired grain weight for the rod. For example, if you need 590 grains, then buy a Skagit head at 450 to 460 grains, then create sinktips that weigh in the 130 to 140 grain range, which when combined with the Skagit head will achieve the desired overall weight of 590. This avenue of line matching creates longer total head lengths, thus spreading the weight out over a longer length which is advantageous for achieving longer distances, more delicate presentations, and smoother casting. The overall length of this type head should fall in the 3 1/2 times the rod length category.

The second approach is to buy a Skagit head and then SUBTRACT from it to achieve desired weight. Example two for a desired weight of 590 grains, using the same sinktip weight of 130 to 140 grains - buy a 650ish Skagit head, then cut it back until it weighs 450 to 460 grains. Now, when one adds the 130 to 140 grain tips, the total system will weigh the desired 590 grains. This approach to line building concentrates line weight in a shorter package thus creating more "mass" which is a desirable attribute for casting heavier tips, and/or bigger/heavier flies. This line will also excel at fishing in tight casting quarters (shorter D-loop) and will have more wind penetrating capabilities. One thing to keep in mind about this approach is that casting technique has to be extremely exact and tight and compact to realize the performance benefits of this system. The overall length of this type head should be between 2 1/2 to 3 times the length of the rod.

When "customizing" a line to suit one's purpose, bear in mind that the weight of the line is more important than length. So, achieve your desired weight first and foremost, don't worry so much about length as long as it is in the "general" area of the above stated ratio's.

·
Banned
1,946 Posts
Trevor,

Airflo spec for 7/8 is 470 gr without tips.
I have weighted the head only I use and it is 475 gr.

Martin

·
Registered
477 Posts
Does anyone know the breaking strain of the core on the Airflow Skagits? I love the castability of the Rio Skagits but am experiencing too many breakeages with the 650 and 750 when fishing for Chinook (Rio's site lists the Skagits as having a 25lb core)
speydoc

·
Registered
1,273 Posts
Huuuge Oooops!

in the examples I state for building lines - in the "second" approach where "subtraction" is used, the weight of line used should be 550 grains, not 650 grains. So, in that case, to achieve a desired total line weight while using 130 to 140 grain tips of 590 grains, one must cut the 550 line back until it weighs around 460 to 450 grains.

·
swing'n Lemmings
206 Posts
cool thanks I am chopping as we speek and have monday off so Ill report back later that night I am looking forward to trying this out. when I first strung up the dredgers a few years ago I felt that the line was really heavy for the rods but then I adapted my casting stroke and all seemed well. I still some times over power the cast and all goes to heck. I have always favored faster rods. Ed have you cast any of the new native run 11 ft glx rods yet. if so any impressions.
Thanks again
Rambo

·
swing'n Lemmings
206 Posts
wow what a difference that made I cut the 450 back a little bit to much so I ended up using 10 feet of t-14 and it flew. I also replaced the running line with slick shooter and that also made a big diff as well. I realy like the feel of the rod it seems faster and is throwing muuch tighter loops. I am working on the line for the 8/9 now I am looking forward to casting that. Thanks again for the info Ed

Rambo

·
Registered
85 Posts
Now how about a Skagit for my Sage 6126-3

I want to fish big flies on this rod and I am willing to give up distance.
I fish alot of smaller rivers in Wisconsin, and I would like to minimize my back cast. I have been using a 9/10/11 wincutter with the mid section removed. I bet that I can improve on this set up.
any knowledgable help is appreciated.

·
Registered
2,829 Posts
Rio

lists the 9/10/11 as 650 grains and 54.5 feet. Tip #2 at 193 grains and 15 feet. This is close to thee 450 grain Skagit head in weight and about 4 feet shorter.

As a matter or interest, what do you not like about the WC 9/10/11 with tip two removed? Longer? Heavier? Lighter?

1 - 20 of 64 Posts