Spey Pages banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Banned
974 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am almost afraid to ask this question but I did not see this question answered in my search. We are going to pick up two skagit lines and I was wondering what the differences are between the Airflo and Rio products?

Thanks,
David

·
Mr. Mom
625 Posts
Well, in my experience the rio will throw a bigger, as in silly big fly. Also, the weight listed for the Airflo INCLUDES an assumption of a 100 grain tip, so the 530 grain is actually 430 without a tip attached. Keep that in mind when comparing the two lines. Oh yeah, no running line on the Airflo, but you probably knew that.

·
#&%*@^# Caster
3,058 Posts
Search for some of Bob Paulis posts one the subject. He compared both pretty recently in one of his posts.

Basically Philster is right on. The RIO has a wider range as far as casting longer , heavier tips as well as raccoon sized flies. The Airflo has better presentation characteristics and the grain window it can carry is smaller. It is the nicer casting of the two.

Oops posted the same time as Gillie and he provided the link...

-sean

·
Banned
1,241 Posts
http://www.rajeffsports.com/skagit.html

Airflo INCLUDES an assumption of a 100 grain tip, so the 530 grain is actually 430 without a tip attached

this statement is incorrect. Airflo 8/9 has 530gr belly only.
My Airflo 7/8 belly acctual weight for example is 476 gr, very closed to spec. which is 470 gr for belly only.

·
Registered
2,100 Posts
Additional note re Airflo Skagit line

Reviewing notes on Airflo's Skagit line described in the comparison post referenced above, it is worth sharing that my particular floating head sunk to the bottom of the casting pond! The entire head sunk, not merely the portion pulled under by a sink tip.

The line was lightly used, far less than any other I owned at the time. Cleaning and treating with fly line lube restored its floating status.

·
Registered
91 Posts
I've read on the U.K. forum sites that the Airflo floaters are just brutal.They don't float.On the other hand thier sinking lines are great.

·
Degenerate caster
1,180 Posts
Airflo

My 8/9 Airflo is 534 grains,the Airflo also has a front and back taper,is slightly less powerful,but for me,is more cast freindly.The 9/10 will carry any fly I care too toss

·
The Frugal Flyfisher
107 Posts
More on Airflo Skagit heads

Bob Pauli's earlier posting is truly excellent, as far as it goes, in comparing Rio to Airflo skagit lines/heads. I can add only a few things.

One, as Bob's posting may have implied, Airflo did not produce a skagit head simply in response to Rio. It had a complete skagit head system in development for years, long before Rio rushed into the market with theirs. Rio simply beat Airflo into the market (much to Airflo's chagrin, I might add).

Two, while Bob's report/comparison implies there is only one weight/density of Custom Cut Tip available for the Airflo skagit heads (the CCT 20-200 Type 8 sink rate provided with all Airflo skagit heads), there are in reality three different weight Custom Cut Tip sinking lines available from Airflo. The type 8 sink rate provided with each head (grain weight of 10 gr. per foot); and then the CCT 20-330 Type 10 sink rate (16.5 gr. per foot); and finally the CCT 20-470 Type 12 sink rate (23.5 gr. per foot). All are double ended with loops and twenty feet long, allowing you to cut two tips of varying lengths and weights from each line. All are $30.95 MSRP, purchased separately.

Three, all the Airflo Skagit heads were designed to be compatible with the Airflo tapered Salmon/Steelhead Polyleaders in their three different lengths (5 ft., 10 ft., 14 ft.) and seven different densities (floating to extra super fast sinking). The front tapers and loops of the Airflo skagit heads (as well as the upcoming Airflo Scandinavian heads) were designed to flow more or less seamlessly into the looped Polyleader tapers, as well as the various Airflo looped multi-tips from the various Airflo multi-tip single hand and spey lines (in the appropriate matching grain weights) for a complete Airflo short head casting system.

Four, on a more personal note, of the various Airflo and other manufacturer's running/shooting lines I have used with the Airflo skagit and Scandinavian heads, I heartily recommend the Airflo Non-Stretch Miracle Braid. It handles well, doesn't need to be stretched, doesn't tangle, floats, is easy to see, and shoots like crazy.

·
Degenerate caster
1,180 Posts
miracle braid

I second the Miracle Braid,going on a year of use and I think it,s the most user freindy running line out there,and it sounds cool in action too ,can't wait to try the Airflo scando head's with it.

·
#&%*@^# Caster
3,058 Posts
I never could get used to the miracle braid but I love love love the tactical no stretch running line and use it on all my beach casting lines. Feels like a fly line, minimal tangles and shoots like a rocket. Another excellent product from airflo to try out with the skagit lines.

-sean

·
Mr. Mom
625 Posts
salmo said:

Airflo INCLUDES an assumption of a 100 grain tip, so the 530 grain is actually 430 without a tip attached

My Airflo 7/8 belly acctual weight for example is 476 gr, very closed to spec. which is 470 gr for belly only.
Oops, I got the numbers wrong, but my point is correct, you cannot compare a 550 grain rio skagit to what is listed as a 560 grain airflo skagit as the Airflo assumes a tip in place, and the rio does not. The 7/8 which is the one I was referring to as it is the one I currently fish is listed as 560 grains, but the belly is only 470. I apologize for posting actual numbers without varifying. Check the chart here. ww.rajeffsports.com/skagit.html

·
Mount Shasta Paranormal
385 Posts
Comparisons Rio 450 vs Airflo Skagit 7/8

I thought I had this figured out until I read this post. For my 7136 I am looking for a lighter skagit line than the Rio 550. I was thinking about either the Rio 450 or the Airflo 8/9 which I thought was apples to apple 430 grain wt. I guess I can stick with the Rio but the Airflo was recommended to me by one of my GGACC compadres. Based upon the above post should I be looking at the Airflo 7/8 line?

1 - 13 of 13 Posts