Spey Pages banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2,095 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Skagit lines with Sage 6126-3, 7141 & TCR 9129-4

Yesterday, my double handed rod mentor, Bob Pauli, and I spent the day testing and casting various new Skagit lines, Rio tips and rather long sections of T14 with my Sage 6123, 7141 and TCR 9129-3. Bob, also, used his Canyon Blaster, his really big T&T rod.

Once, the correct Skagit line was matched with one of the Sage rods above, the combo basically with minimal effort hurled/casted any appropriate Rio 15' tip, 24' tip, 26' DC tip and various chunks of T14 out 50' to 90+'. :D

Bob with his T&T canyon blaster and the Skagit 750 grain with a 24' big boy tip, had to ease up on his casts to keep from disturbing the wildlife on the opposite shore. :saeek:

With the T14 tips and type 8 Rio Tips, the flies were bouncing off the bottom in a swift flow and deep pool quicker than any normal spey line with tip compensators and type 8 tips.

We only had to wade out a few feet and even with a 66 year old bad shoulder and terrible casting, I was shooting at least two+ rod lengths of running line, the 27' Skagit head, plus the various Rio tips/T14 heads up to 28' of T14. Bob was able to cast 90+' once he found the right tip combo. Most casting was done with a big rabbit hair leech with heavy dumbell eyes.

I'm sure that Bob will be posting/publishing this data soon for those interested in two handed rods using the Skagit lines.

·
Registered
1,526 Posts
skagit lines

I spent last week fishing searun browns on the Rio Grande in Argentina.As most know,it can be windy down there.I liked throwing the 550gr skagit line with a 5ft compensator and about 11-12ft of t14.It cuts thru the wind,casts with ease[ even when using big flies],travels with a controlled smoothness and turns over exremely well.I liked all parts of the setup.In some shallow water I used my traditional WC with a 10ft tip of type 8.it did not turnover my fly as well in the wind.It traveled with what I would call noise in the tip and leader[multiple waves vs none in the other setup].I think most of the later was due to thet14 and the compensator.I shld have tried a compensator on the type 8.I will do that next chance.But it was easier to throw the heavier setup with the Skagit head then the lighter rig with the WC.It was easier to go long.As another aside,some have suggested that with a Skagit type line you have to due sustained load casts rather than touch and go.I found that I could do snake rolls just fine and my travel mate sid he thought they rocked with that line.Just my initial thoughts with the usual IMHO caveat.Beau

·
Registered
2,095 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
One of the good surprises/things that happened yesterday was the discovery that the Skagit 450 worked really well with my Sage 6126-3 with standard Rio 15' sinking tips, no compensators and shot 15' of T14 out with a big fly.

The WC 91011 was what was recommended for the Sage 6126-3. That would cost twice as much to buy versus the Rio Skagit 450. The Sage 6126-3 hums with the Skagit 450 and various Rio 15' standard tips.

River Right Snake casts with the 6126, 7141 and TCR 9129 are basically effortless with the appropriate Skagit lines and matching tips. Just get about 6 inches of the head in the rod before beginning the cast.

·
Registered
2,100 Posts
Beau, I agree...

with your observation that splash and go casts work well with the Rio Skagit Spey line. I am guessing that you used the FLO1308 with the Skagit550?

On a second point, that Argentine hospitality must have mellowed you, since "IMHO" has previously not been part of your vocabulary! :hihi:

Welcome back, Beau.

·
Registered
1,526 Posts
skagit line

Yes on both observations.I have had a years quota of Malbec antioxidents.With the IMHO I am just too tired to have to deal with someone thinking I am preaching rather than passing on a thought that could help someone.It has happened before!Beau

·
loco alto!
3,109 Posts
Dave, you can get a WC belly for $60 from River Run

·
Registered
2,095 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Below are Bob's Pauli's observations re casting my Sage 9129-4 with the new Rio 650 Skagit line:

"A interesting case is the new Sage 9129-4 TCR, a 12’9” 9-wt [labeled] 4-pc very-fast action rod. Needs 5’ Cheater to load rod for tips less than 280-grains. Because of the rod’s modest length, the Cheater must be removed for tips 20’ and longer. The exceptional power of this rod can cast BigBoys to 500-grains, 26’ Striper lines to 450-grains, and T-14 to 28-feet. Testing with a Skagit 750 would be interesting."

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.