Spey Pages banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Indicators Anonymous
846 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, there is a 13' for a #9 Loop Gray Line that is just calling my name...should see the first production models this month.

Anyways, I am dying to build up a true 'Skagit Casting' line for this rod and was wondering if there are more to these lines then just wacking up some #12 or #14 DT and splicing in a running line.

Well, I am sure there are but I want the details! :)

Thanks!

·
Registered
1,548 Posts
The off-the-shelf version:

Although I'm not an expert on Skagit-type lines (there was an article in STS a year or two ago), I've found an easy version for my two 9-weight rods: An ordinary length WF11F line, minus the front taper and with a loop added. I suppose a WF12F would work, probably cut a little shorter. I prefer long-belly lines, but on a smaller stream like the Vedder River, this line rocks. About three or four strips in, then another easy 70-75' cast with 15' tips.

·
Registered
1,273 Posts
Skagit Lines

Ryan,
I am heading out for a few days, but will elaborate more on this subject when I return. For now you need to establish some idea of how many grains of weight that it takes to load the rod. I would suggest borrowing a 9-10-11 and 10-11-12 Windcutter from someone and then trying them on the rod for a couple of days. Cast with each particular line for an hour or so before switching. Do this several times and take note of how each feels on the rod (too light, too heavy, just right, etc.). This exercise will get you into a ballpark range of what it will take to load the rod and this will determine what weight lines you will need to use to build your Skagit line. Also, you may not have to build one at all. I have no personal experience with the Loop heads, but from what I have heard they are the right length (46'?) for Skagit casting. The only difference will be that you will probably need to get one that is a line size or two heavier than the labeled rod rating ( Loop line labeled as 10 weight for use on a 9 weight rated rod).

·
Skidrow Woolley Fly Club
387 Posts
Ryan,

Here is a formula I have started with. Belly section should be 3 times the length of the rod minus the length of the sink tip you plan to use. I always add a few more feet then what I come up with using the formula. So, in the case of your 13 footer, using 15 foot sink tips, I would start with a belly section of 14 wt. of at least 24 feet and probabley use a section of about 28 feet, cast it and trim it until I got the length I felt confortable casting. This is just a starting point. Some people like to use some of the taper of the 14wt. line and others will splice lighter lines to create a taper. Some will use the tapered section to taper down to thier running line. Personally I use a level section for my belly sections. I have found that when casting heavy 15 foot sink tips a taper doesn't help me much. Personal preference.

·
Registered
459 Posts
Wow, A "river specific" spey line, whats next reels, leaders, etc....

May seriously have to go back to golf and tennis soon ! :confused:

PM Out

·
Skidrow Woolley Fly Club
387 Posts
Not a river specific line but a type of line named after a river.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts