Spey Pages banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
#&%*@^# Caster
3,058 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Skagit Line Testing for Speypages Members

Since there seems to be a lot of confusion regarding these lines lets get them into your hands to try out.

I have the 8/9 and 9/10 I am willing to ship to someone as long as they do the following:

-Review it on the site listing the rods and tip combos you tested it on and your general thoughts.

-Send it on to the next guy in a timely manner so we can get the lines into as many folks hands as possible.

Please post your name on this thread if you are insterested and PM me your address.

Will put a spreadsheet together of addresses to include with the lines so folks can send them on when they are done.

-sean

·
Jolly Buddha
504 Posts
Rio “Skagit Line” 550 grains

I mic 10 to 12 inches between each reading

.045 green running line
.093 next to the loop

·
loco alto!
3,052 Posts
well Brian, all I can say is that I look forward to your website!

·
#&%*@^# Caster
3,058 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks Brian and very interesting....all they have is a back taper???

I too was expecting more of a taper since all of Eds formulas do have varying tapers to them as do some custom skagit lines I own. Wonder what the new airflo ones will look like...

-sean

·
Speyladdie
429 Posts
Sean.
Good idea,but I believe that most guys who don't have the Skagit concept down will not be able to cast these lines efficiently and give a valid opinion as has happened in the past with other lines.I know from talking to guys who are begginers that this inexperienced info can be misleading for the guy who is ready to go out and buy a line.
Note,in no way am I trying to knock any body's ability here,just being honest.
I have just spent the last three months learning the Skagit and I can tell you it's not that easy.
I would definately recommend Dec Hogans DVD as a starting point.
I have viewed it a few times these past weeks and it certainly has helped me on my road to improving my Skagit casting.
Also watched Ed Wards style on the Sandy video.Two different styles all together.
To date I have cast the Loomis 13'9" 8/9 GLX Dredger and the 14' 9/10 Kispiox.
To day when I was out on the river I found that the new Rio 7/8 @ 450 grains worked really nice on the GLX.(15'type 6 tip +5' leader with fly)
On the 14' Kispiox I have tried the Rio 9/10 @ 650 grains.(A touch heavy).
Will try the 8/9 @ 550 grains next time to see the difference.
One good tip I got from Marlow Bumpus was,slow down on the initial set up and make the D loop and forward cast CONTINUOUS,no pause at the 1.30 position.
Hope this info helps a little, if any.
Speyladdie. :smokin:

·
#&%*@^# Caster
3,058 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Neil you bring up good points. Being the very experienced caster you are speaks volumes when you say it has taken you 3 months to get the hang of it. I am way farther behind then you are with using these lines and I am still a long ways from moving out of the newbie stage. The skagit style really is not something one can pick up in an afternoon of messing with the lines.

What I would like to see is more questions coming out of folks who use the lines so we all can better get a handle on the concept. That is really what I would like to accomplish by getting the lines out there. Get some new folks trying the lines and then coming back to the site so we can all discuss how these things cast. I think that would be beneficial to all rather than what we have seen so far.

Us west coast guys are lucky because we can go watch Ed, Mike Mcclune, Mike Kinney, Marlow , Scott etc cast these lines and get an idea of how the system works. Hopefully the same kind of thing will happen when you do your presentation out there for the great lakes guys.

Getting these lines may indeed cause some confusion for guys checking them out. However I am hoping we build on that and really start hammering down some of the nuances of the technique which will benefit us all.

-sean

·
Registered
562 Posts
Neil,

I would agree with Dec's video. Although different than Ed's technique it a very good technique for short belly lines. I would also reccomend the video John and Amy Hazel did. Dec worked with them for many years and the casting styles are very similair.

I was lucky enough to be taught how to spey cast by Amy. She is an outstanding caster and a great teacher. They throw mostly Deltas (as does Dec) but have recently started throwing shorter belly lines also.

Their technique is a nice blend of skagit and traditional techniques.

The Hazels' video is not as enjoyable as Dec because there is no fishing footage, but it is much more in depth on the casting technique.

Gillie

·
Speyladdie
429 Posts
Sean.
I can just feel that video clip coming on the pages. :roll:
I see what your getting at and I agree,the more info the better.
My only concern as stated is for the new guy getting the wrong info which would only confuse him more.
We have all read what Ed has written in great depth about Skagit Casting.
All very informative stuff if you have the ability to put it all together.
I'll be honest here,I'm a doer!.Its easier for me personally to do the pratical part of a task to learn it rather than read the techy stuff and then make it work.
I guess being a Millwright by trade has made me that way.
Like you said Sean you guys are very fortunate to have so many Pro's in your area to learn from.(Any body have a spare Green Card they don't want!!! :lildevl: ).
Here in Ontario Rick and I don't have any body so we struggle on.It's always a bonus when we get to meet guys like Andy Murray,Simon and others guys we occasionally come across.To get just a few tips from these guys helps tremedously.
A little tip I can offer for the guys who are going to get the lines from Sean is to try an emulate the Skagit Style as close as possible so you get the full benefit from the line.
E.G.If you try to cast with the Touch and go style it will not work the same as the sustained anchor style.
(Definately need a video Sean)This is bloody hard work trying to make my point.
Any way.good luck and I will try to help where ever I can.
The MO clave will hopefully help the guys there understand the Skagit Style a little more.As long as I don't screw up!!.
Speyladdie. :smokin:

·
Speyladdie
429 Posts
Gillie.
I recently met John and Amy at the New Jersey show.Very nice people.
I leant John one of my Vision S.S.Heads to try as he told me they were getting into the Euro style of casting.
John,kindly sent me one of their video's.Very nice.Well made with good shots of what the line does,etc.etc.
As an instructor myself there were a couple of things in their video I really liked and will use in my classe's.I hope they aren't listening :lildevl:
You mention they use Airflow Delta's as does Dec.Funny you should mention that as earlier to day I phoned Tim Rajeff to try and get Dec's contact info to ask him some question's about the Delta's.
One question being,do you use the full lenght of the Delta,54'.
What tips are you using on the end of the Delta's so on and so forth.
I'm curious to know what set up's they are using and what rod lenght and weight.
Gillie if you make the MO clave introduce your self so we can have a chat.
Speyladdie. :smokin: :smokin:

·
Jolly Buddha
504 Posts
The Rio "Skagit Lines" (dia.) look like the lines we started out with in the mid 90's at Skagit Anglers

·
Registered
562 Posts
Neil,
I haven't had the privlege of meeting Dec but the rumor is that he has moved and is not actively in the spey scene right now. But I do know that he is working on a book due to be released this year.

I won't be at the MO clave this year. I could only squeeze in 1 trip this spring and I'm heading out to the Sandy River Clave in May.

I'll have to try to catch you at another time.

Gillie

·
Jolly Buddha
504 Posts
Gillie said:
Neil,
I could only squeeze in 1 trip this spring and I'm heading out to the Sandy River Clave in May.

Gillie
Gillie

I have three Rio "Skagit Lines" and I'll have some of mine at the Sandy, see ya there. I'll have my trailer there stop on by :smokin:

·
Registered
1,526 Posts
Neil,I have fished with Dec Many times.He designed the airflo delta spey.Designed and fished the Flylogic 1308 with a WC 9/10/11 prior to designing the airflo.then he used the airflo 9/10/11.On the Deschutes he fished the floating tip.On the Skagit and Dean he usually just fished a standard 15ft sink tip of 150 gr.He did not tinker much with lines ,unlike his friend ,Ed Ward.I also have fished with Ed.As many of you have realized ,their styles are very different.I lived through that on weekends where I fished with Ed on Saturday and Dec on Sunday.I would use Ed's self made skagit head on saturday and switch reels to an airflo for sunday with a standard 15ft sinktip.Ed fished intruders and Dec loved more classic flies.I like big flies.I believe they catch more big fish.I catch a lot of big fish.I caught a fish on my first cast with Ed.s intruder.I have fished different varients of those for some years.But,for some fish,I still love classics.Just caught a 20# brown on a 3/0 alec jackson hook.It was a Dec pattern with junglecock eyes.Net/Net,everyone has a somewhat different style.I was told I had to pick one style and I would get confused learning two.I enjoyed learning two different styles.One of these would work off my left shoulder while the other guy would get my right shoulder working.out of space.Beau

·
Registered
1,526 Posts
More thoughts.Ed does talk about a Skagit line not being the right tool for touch and go casts like the snake roll.My early experience suggests that is not necessarily true.George Cook and I found we could make some very nice snakes.I believe my friend Bob Pauli came to the same finding.I am not a believer in everyone having to adhere to some strict style dictated by the style police.Everyone has a different body and a different mental idea of what they like.Find your own style!!Dec and Ed and Scott did!!And they were all friends and even lived together for a while when they started guiding.By the way,Dec thought snake rolls rock and Ed doesnt see any need for them.Dont get too hung up on stuff.Find your own path.Today ,we have the ability to watch lots of experts.Pick casts you like,but be realistic and pick those you are capable of doing.Do them well .Do them in any wind direction.any side of the river.All prefaced with IMHO!!!Beau

·
Speyladdie
429 Posts
HI beau.
Your a lucky man being able to fish with such guys as Ed and Dec.
It must be a wonderfull experience every time you get a chance to fish with these guys.
Thanks for the info.Appreciate it.
The tips Dec uses.Are they the Rio 15' tips or Airflow tips.
Any chance of PMing me some pics of the flys you guys use out there.
Would love to see them.
Thanks.
Speyladdie :smokin:

·
Registered
2,100 Posts
The influence of teachers...

It is interesting to see the influence of teachers extend beyond their students. While Beau learned from Dec and Ed, I learned tons watching Beau fish and listening to his explanation of lines and flies.

Thanks, Beau!

1 - 20 of 27 Posts