Spey Pages banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Brian or RA, can you post a recipe for the Skagit line for the Fly Logic 13' 8wt? I have experimented a bit with a 14wt saltwater taper cut back and looped to Rio 15' tips. It worked well with big flies but was a bit clunky.
I know the head length is roughly 3 to 3.5 times the rod length and I know Ed prefers about 680 grains for that rod, but the taper is a bit of a mystery.

Also wondering on these skagit lines. (RA's recipes) is the rear of the head supposed to be in the guides or right at the tip of the rod during the casting stroke. AKA is there a "handling line" or just running line and head? I don't believe there's a handling line, but I remember reading something about it a long time ago.

Thanks in advance!

·
Jolly Buddha
504 Posts
Here one:

22 ¾” of 10 wt.
35” of 11 wt.
160” of 14 wt.
85 ¾” of 12 wt.
86” of 11 wt.

Plus a tip of 145 grains

This will come out to about 650 grains (with Rio lines)

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks!

Thanks Brian! You are very generous!

Beau -- I'm surprised that Ed liked that line because he was recommending 680 grains when I messaged back and forth with him. I know all lines cast different and each rod has a "grain window" of what's acceptable, but 130 grains is a pretty big difference. Was it 550 without tips? That would actually put it in the same ballpark.

·
Registered
1,526 Posts
yes to your last ?the skagit lines are head weights without your tip,In this case of the 1308 you would add another100 to 150 with your tip. you are right about what Ed has said about weight for that rod.I have also made my own skagit heads based on Ed's advise.I believe these skagit heads from rio can now be shorter because they have made them heavier per ft.previously it was hard to get material that heavy per ft.the lines I had made were I believe,around 33 ft in length made from a 10/11/12 WC.I like my mentor Ed like to use a short fasr sink tip ,10ft of type 8 or t-14.Beau

1 - 6 of 6 Posts