Spey Pages banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
BBCT
197 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been using a 25.5ft 525 RIO skagit line for winter work and it casts fine. However, I've been considering a couple of different options.

What intermediate weight skagit head do people like on this rod?

Second, I see RIO makes two different, slightly shorter, skagit lines. One is 23ft and the other is 20ft. 2ft doesn't seem like much of a change, but 5ft does. Anybody have any comments on how either of the shorter lines casts?

Thanks,
Chris

·
Registered
117 Posts
Airflo Skagit switch 540

·
Registered
68 Posts
I've fished a lot of different lines on my 7126. From Rio, for winter I prefer the 23' Skagit Max 525gr, the rest of time I really like the Scandi Short Versa Tip in 8wt. In an intermediate, I've used the 7wt Scandi body with good results.

·
Registered
56 Posts
I really like the 510 grain Airflo intermediate on my 7126.

If you go with Rio, I would stick with the iFlight over the iShort. No reason to fish the shorter head on a twelve and a half foot rod. (just more stripping and chance of blowing anchor)

I like the short floating section on both the Airflo and Rio intermediate heads. It provides a nice visual indicator of what the line is doing while still letting the intermediate section do its thing.

I almost never use a floating skagit any more.

·
BBCT
197 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks

Thanks to everybody for the suggestions.

Chris -

·
Registered
44 Posts
I have been using an Airflo Compact Skagit 540 on mine for a couple years and really like it. Throws type 3 tips all the way up to 12.5 feet of T-14.

I have found that this rod has a very wide grain window and it's just a matter of finding what grain weight and line configuration fits your particular casting style and fishing conditions.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts