Spey Pages banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
346 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
If the Rio Skagit 450 is too much for a lighter rod, and utilizing the various shooting heads, tips, tip compensators, and sinking leaders available out there, what would you put together to come up with a Skagit system? Assume a 12' 6/7wt rod (Okay, the Snowbee Torridge or similar....), and the Outbound, unless they start selling just the head, is not part of this equation.

My answer: RioMax 30' floating 8wt (300 gr), 12' compensator (97 gr) and sinking leader; or, Guidlines head cut appropriately.

What other combos are there?

Thanks!

Tom

·
Mr. Mom
625 Posts
Well, the body section of the 10/11/12 windcuter weighs about 378 grains and is nice and short. A way more expensive option, but if you can use the Windcutter on a bigger rod, you get two lines for one.

G

·
Any 11/12# sinking/floating head will be about 330/380gns and will fit any rod that has a load of around 300 to 400 gns. There are tons of heads, standard types, which will work on 12' Skagit casting rods. In fact they will work on any overhead casting 12/13' DH rod that fits that load range.
MaxG

·
loco alto!
3,109 Posts
Standard WF tapers work well.

WF13F gives a 27-28' head of 450-480 grains after removing the front taper.

WF12F gives a 400-430 grain head of 27-28'

WF11F gives a 350 grain head of 27-28'

... and on down the line

You can use AFTMA standards as a guide of the grains to expect. I have found these "skagit" versions weigh a little more than 30' AFTMA, either because the manufacturers consistently make their heavy lines on the heavy end of allowable AFTMA variance (to load big heavy rods) and/or because the 8-10' front taper is removed, leaving only the fat belly. I cut the front taper at a point equivalent to either 10 or 12 wt diameter for tips.

·
Registered
2,095 Posts
The Rio Outbound 10 w Floater at 425 grains works

I have posted the results of my casting/testing with the Rio OB 10W Floater @ 425 grains with a Sage 5120 and Meise's 5/6 Switch Rod on previous threads. The results were excellent.

Put a 15' Leader on the OB with the 5120, and you have a great dry fly line for dries, intermediates and even streamers. The Meise rod works better with a 10 ' leader. Put a perfection loop in the business end of either leader and attach 2 to 4' of tippet to match the fly.

Both Rods work well with the Rio Fluoroflex Sinking Leaders, I prefer the 12' sinking leaders over the standard 15' Rio Sinking leaders with the shorter and lighter rods.

Later this spring and in the summer when the river levels go down, I will probably use the Rio FluoroFlex 7' sinking leaders and a couple of foot of tippet. The T8 sounds like it might work.

A couple of weeks ago Bob Pauli and I used the OB 10W floater with my 5120 and Mise's 5/6 switch rod and a 15' and 10' leader. After I got dialed in, I was casting 50 to 70+ feet with a size 4 fly. Bob was chasing the squirrels and rabbits away from the other side of the River at 80 to 100'+.

The OBs mend better than the Skagit line and have factory loops on both ends to make life easier. They are a great line for about any cast.

·
Registered
346 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Real life experiment leads to purchase

I tried the Skagit 450 on the Torridge (the rod, of course, not the UK river) today, with a 15' sink tip of some kind, which was probably around 125 gr, give or take. I could acutally get off some good casts with this, but it was heavy. Aaoron suggested I take the WC 8/9/10, remove the first two tips, add the sink tip, and try that.

It was beautiful. Aaron said it made the rod feel alive (and he would know, of course!). At his shop, we weighed an 8/9/10 belly: 325 gr. Add my 8wt tips of 109 gr, and it's perfect. 38 ft--an optimal length for both Skagit/Scando and overhead on this rod.

The purchase, of course, was the WC belly.

I'd still like to try the Outbound on this rod sometime, too. I wish I could just buy the head.

Cheers!

Tom

·
Junkyard Spey
7,114 Posts
At his shop, we weighed an 8/9/10 belly: 325 gr.
That belly is a little on the heavy side. Only 11grns less then my 9/10/11 WC belly. I'm glad it is working well on your Torridge.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts