Spey Pages banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Scandi & Skagit Hack
319 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Pardon my ignorence, but everying is see in regards to a skagit shooting head is that they should be 3 to 3.5 the lenth of the rod you are using. So if I am using a 13' 6" rod my shooting head/cheaters should be between 40.5' and 47.25'. does this lenth include the leader???
Tight Lines,
thegreatscout

·
Registered
15 Posts
Reply to skagit head formula

Hi TGS,

I pretty much only skagit spey and the way I interpret this formula (I believe Ed Ward came up with it) is that the 3-3.5 length of your line does not include the leader. If I am using a floating line I error on the side of the 3.5 end of it and If I have some T-14 on board I error on the side of 3 times the length. When I am using a floating line I use a 12-15 foot lead depending on the length of rod I am using. If I using a sink tip I use 4-7 foot leader. The heavier the sink tip the shorter the leader. This is just my approach and it works, but I would be very open to other's thoughts.

Reio

Tempered by trout, honed by steelhead.

·
Released to spawn
4,348 Posts
It's my understanding that the length ratio & formula for the size of Skagit line for use with a particular rod includes the Skagit head (often around 27') and the tip (variable from 6' to 20'), but not the leader (mono to the fly).

So, for a 13'6" rod where the recommendation is 3 to 3.5 x rod length, the Skagit head + tip will be, as you state, 40.5' to 47.25', which may be 27' head plus 15' tip (is what I use for that rod) = 42', but clearly you can go shorter or somewhat longer with your tip, and still fall nicely within the recommendations.

I should state, as often has been stated by others, that dialing in head/tip lengths for a particular rod, and fishing situation, should also take account of your own personal casting style & comfort, so strictly sticking to the 3 to 3.5 x rod length recommendation is just a guideline from the Skagi-Jedi anyway.

my 0.02

Mike

·
Skidrow Woolley Fly Club
387 Posts
What is also important in the Skagit line as much as the length is the overall grain weight of the line.

·
Registered
139 Posts
And to follow on what KerryS said, the same grain weight will feel differently with differently lenghts. A 550 gr head w/ 50 gr 5' cheater and 150 gr 15' tips will cast differently than a 600 gr head with 150 gr 15' tips even though they both weigh the same.

·
chrome-magnon man
5,375 Posts
there are no absolutes in Spey (Skagit) casting...

I would echo speyducer's notes. And if it works for you and allows you to fish and enjoy yourself, the you have it right, whether it fits a particular formula or not. :)

1 - 7 of 7 Posts