Spey Pages banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
converted a single hand sage launch 9' 4wt to a two hander by simply adding a 4" bottom handle. ive played with all the single hand lines I have (5wt,6wt,7wt,9wt) but am not impressed with how they respond to SAS spey casts. since I will be using it to throw medium sized streamers on the trout rivers near me I think a Skagit head would work better.
Rio makes the Skagit max short down to 200gr at 17'. I was thinking the medium fast 4wt could handle between 200gr-275gr at 17' head length.

Has anyone done a conversion rod 9' 4wt specifically for SAS Skagit casts?

·
FISHIN' FREELANCER
1,425 Posts
Originally it was "Scott Alpha Series". For this topic pretty sure it's "sustained anchor casting".. a disciplined skagit style.

·
Registered
555 Posts
How about an Ambush in a 4 or 5 weight? Both have 18 ft heads at 195 or 215 grains and can turn over some heavy stuff.

·
Registered
2,736 Posts
I converted a VERY OLD 10.5' 5 wt Fenwick HMG that I had made up in the 70's that is a real noodle and it does well with a custom made up line at 17' and around 250 grains - if you have access you might first try a 275 if the rod is fast and you want to load it deep - just do not know that rod and action

·
Registered
29 Posts
I`ve recently built another single hander into a micro spey, a Rainshadow RX6 F905-4. Been casting this rig since last summer, and here`s what has been working.

Rio Skagit Compact 325gr - cut back to 18`
OPST Lazer Running line 35lbs
10`Versi leader - all sink rates
3-6`leader - depending on flies and conditions.

Initially I employed my usual casting stroke, the casts never stayed consistent. So after watching the OPST video (all link it below), over and over till my eye bled. Practicing the way Ed casts start to finish, has greatly kept my casting of the micro spey consistent. 60-80`effortless casts are achievable.

Compact anchors and compact forward stroke worked great for me!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tC_pzl_PKig

·
Registered
73 Posts
hypothetical skajit question please

Say I have a 9' 4 weight rod, I want a 200 GN head. I take the appropriate line weight to do this. Standard WF F line I cut off the tip, add a loop, measure 18' ,cut the back end off, add a loop. Now lets say I am lucky enough to have a line now, that weighs 200 grains and is 18' long. Is what I have any different that a out of the box Skajit 200 gain 18' line. Just one other question, short switch rod, 11' 5/6 using sustained Anchor. 350 gain skajit line 19', 150 gain tips(got um free) 15' long. Can I cast them as is on the Skajit line, do I cut them back to 10' or add loops so they can be used on my 11'4 that take 550 gains. I was hoping I could use the tips on both rods set ups.I hope I made this clear. Thanks all for you help in the past and now. slack

·
Registered
249 Posts
Say I have a 9' 4 weight rod, I want a 200 GN head. I take the appropriate line weight to do this. Standard WF F line I cut off the tip, add a loop, measure 18' ,cut the back end off, add a loop. Now lets say I am lucky enough to have a line now, that weighs 200 grains and is 18' long. Is what I have any different that a out of the box Skajit 200 gain 18' line.

"Answer 1.
I would think yes and no. cast it if you like it, success. But I think you may need some rear taper and front to help with flight control rear and landing front. I read this in that Al Buhr book. My best guess"

Just one other question, short switch rod, 11' 5/6 using sustained Anchor. 350 gain skagit line 19', 150 gain tips(got um free) 15' long. Can I cast them as is on the Skajet line, do I cut them back to 10' or add loops so they can be used on my 11'4 that take 550 gains. I was hoping I could use the tips on both rods set ups.I hope I made this clear. Thanks all for you help in the past and now. slack
"Answer 2. I would cast them then you know."

Hope this helps if it all.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I ended up cutting/splicing 12' of the front taper of a rio Skagit flight 525gr, and cut/spliced 5' of an old wf8f to mock the taper and land me in the grain window.
the "Skagit head" ended up being 17'3" at 240grains.

I field tested it today on the cda river and it threw a medium mow tip 5'float 5'sink and 4' of 8# maxima and a large sculpzilla. double spey was hard to get down but a snap t or perry poke got it out there 60' no problem.
and boy is that a fun way to fish trout.

·
Registered
100 Posts
skagits

Hi;

I converted a 8'6 to a 2 hander and put a 5wt ambush on it. Tried other single and lines and didn't like them for much. I like the ambush because I can do t&g and sa casts. Also have a 11' tfo with a with a275gr Skagit head that works really good for smallies.

I probably would not go over 215gr with a 4wt but I like my Skagit lines a little bit lighter.

My opinion.

speypappy

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.