Spey Pages banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Member FRSCA
2,264 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I should have asked this question a while back, but I'll ask now. Trying to use a WC 7/8/9 body and a set of 7/8/9 cheaters for small stream duty. The line showed up today, the cheaters appear to be thicker than the WC body. Should I have gone with the 6/7/8 for the 7/8/9 body? I have another rig to use the 7/8/9 cheaters with so its not a total waste, but I want the best performance I can get out of this.

·
Registered
2,100 Posts
Your Cheater is probably fine.

A WC 7.8.9 body weighs 258 grains, the tip 2 150-grains, tip 1 109-grains.

My Rio Cheater 7.8.9 5-foot [float & intermediate] weigh 69 and 66 grains respectively. The 10-foot [float & inter.] weigh 130 and 126 grains. These weights are from my scale.

Weight being the important factor, I think you'll find the 5-footer to be no problem. Judging by weight progression of Cheaters upward from the 7.8.9, which I have weighed, my estimate is that the lighter Cheater you wish you bought, which I have not weighed, will scale within 10 grains of the one you have [5-footer].

What rod are you using?

·
Member FRSCA
2,264 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
rod

T&T 1107-3. My concern was if that body would turn that cheater good (using the 109grain 8wt tips), or if I would be losing energy. I grass cast it for a minute, which showed me almost nothing, and our rivers are seriously blown here in MI, I won't be able to get it wet until mid week, hopefully.

Instead of weighing them look here.

http://www.flyfishusa.com/lines/rio-weights.htm

·
Registered
445 Posts
.........Jamey, the charts might give you a good start, but once you start weighing lines, you'll find that the charts are just that, a start. For instance, my 8/9/10 WC is supposed to weigh 585 grains, but it is really 620 grains. I must have 3 or 4 sets of WC 9wt tips. They weigh from 98grs to 150grs. Knowing how much weight you are casting will tell you a lot about why some lines cast so much better than others on a given rod.

·
Member FRSCA
2,264 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yeah I have found that, I always weigh them but I have never seen them off that much. Its usually only 5-8 grains.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts