Spey Pages banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Banned
974 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just read the thread about lighter/shorter rods. I have a newbie question: what is the Skagit casting style? I have never seen that style in person.

·
Registered
3,042 Posts
David,

The "Skagit Style" is a style of casting that is based on a short head flyline and heavy tips and flies. I have become familiar with one of the "styles" that its originator calls a sustained load cast. While I hope that Riveraddict chimes in with more technical info here's my take.

Ed's style was developed to cast his signature fly - the Intruder which is a large bulky, lead-eyed fish magnet. The Intruder combined with short heavy tips is difficult to cast with a traditional d-loop. The "sustained load" technique uses the natural propensity of the fly and tip to sink and the excess anchor actually provides the "load" for the cast.

While there are various ways to get the fly to its anchor point it eventually sets in the water relatively close to the caster. It is allowed to sink a little (no real rush) then rather than lift straight back into a traditional d-loop the rod is swept back a bit more parallel to the water and with one smooth continuous, almost circular move (the key is to keep the rod bent) the backward sweep is converted to an upright plane and the cast is launched.

It is a very smooth easy motion, yet it generates terrific line speed and is a true "fishing cast". One can execute fishing distance casts all day, with heavy tips and flies and experience little fatigue. It is a cool cast.

I hope Ed will chime in and fill in any blanks, errors or omissions I may have made with my explanation.

·
Here we go again!
620 Posts
The only thing I can say is...

someone needs to get together with Ed and produce a video on the Skagit style. There is no better way for folks to "Get it" than by seeing it. I for one apreciate all the help on this board and all the "Talk throughs", but this needs to be demonstrated. Ed was given such a brief spot on the Sandy river video (a great vidoe despite this) that it only whetted my appetite. I would also like to "See" more on the way Pac Norwesters are using these sink tips/heavy flies effectively. C'mon, spread the wealth! :smokin:

·
Registered
3,042 Posts
Moose,

Dana and I have talked about getting some video for the SpeyPages. Of course, the biggest problem is finding some time when Ed isn't actually fishing :eyecrazy: maybe we can corner him this month ... after he gets back from the Sandy Clave ... and fishing ...

·
Registered
25 Posts
I'd like to see that...

Kush:

Robert Miezwinkle and I were talking about that style at the Great Outdoor Games. Frankly, I just didn't get what he was talking about. It must be one of those things you have to "see" to understand. I'd like to see the video if anyone ever gets one put together. It wouldn't necessaraly "have" to be Ed doing it either. Anything is better than nothing at this point.

John

·
Registered
2,829 Posts
2003 Sandy Spey Clave video

And one available by Fred Evans on the Board show Ed doing the Skagit cast. I have a copy of the 2003 Sandy Spey Clave that I have viewed once that I would sell for $20, as I have Fred's videos and several other instructional video's.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts