Spey Pages banner

skagit casting distance?

12K views 17 replies 12 participants last post by  aviomech 
I have recently started fishing lakes with a 4 wt switch rod (11'6) purely to practice my spey casting. The rod is sub 5 oz in weight so you can overhead either single or double handed with a regular 5 or 6wt trout line and get incredible distance if that is your objective. For spey casting the you tube video with George Cook is well worth a look. My favourite line so far is the Rio short VT in a 4wt which really shoots well. When the wind gets up or I need to cast into the wind I have used a skagit and find that going slightly heavier than you would in flowing water makes this easier. I would use a skagit short 325 in a river but find the 360 skagit switch better when casting into a wind on the lake.
I am still experimenting with lines to get the optimal presentation and a one piece line would be ideal but I have yet to find one
By thinking carefully about anchor placement, and keeping tension on the line you will really be able to spey cast a long way in still water it just takes a bit more thought. Wading definitely helps

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.