Spey Pages banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Since skagit casting is such an abbreviated move and trying to stay in the box. How important is body and hip rotation,especially in the sweep. Is it necessary?
Thanks in advance slack

·
Registered
1,953 Posts
Yes and no, it depends on the cast and foot placement. In a perfect world Our feet should always be facing the direction of the forward cast, but if you ever fished the Thomson river you know better. So some times there is body rotation to get to the desired angle. As I think about it more most casts will have some rotation, do switch cast now do switch cast and add upper body rotation and you have a single spey. The "in the box" is more about hands and elbows. The single, double, snap t / circle all have upper body rotation to get to the desired casting angle, hope this helps.

·
Registered
85 Posts
I like to think of it as winding and then unwinding my core muscles as a spring. With my feet pointed in the direction I wish to cast, I set my anchor so that my shoulders are counter rotated in relation to my hips(winding). Then, I unwind during the sweep ending with my shoulders and hips in alignment. This lets me keep my hands within the box while using very little of the muscles of my arms and shoulders.

·
Registered
36 Posts
I think its best to keep the swaying and body rotation minimal for genuine Skagit style casting. Sometimes if you keep your body still and use your hands as much as possible the better she flies.

Not to discount the above posts. See what works best for you.

·
Registered
5,276 Posts
Ohh - ok. At first I thought you where asking about rod rotation like you might have seen in the vids...

but body rotation / weight transfer is totally different. Ever danced the Spey Waltz? Its the same 3/4 time and a little hip giration can help when the feel isn't quite fully there.

·
flailing less
490 Posts
Since skagit casting is such an abbreviated move and trying to stay in the box. How important is body and hip rotation,especially in the sweep. Is it necessary?
Topping the list of "absolutes" in Skagit casting is probably the preservation of tension in the line while it is constantly being pulled around during the sweep and transition before release.

Any hip and body rotation during these movements must preserve and hopefully enhance tension in the line. Using the hips and body to assist in direction change is fine (and often necessary), just avoid loss of line tension while doing so.

Another poster mentioned using the body as a twisted energy storage device--that is exactly how Ben Hogan described his backswing when teaching golf. The large muscles can store and smoothly release a lot of energy while allowing the hands/arms to remain "quiet", thus avoiding or at least dampening any jerky motions in the smaller body parts.

Whether its your legs, back, hips, torso, shoulders or arms, the "feel" should be that the line is being constantly pulled up until the point of release. If that feeling is lost even for an instant, efficiency is being degraded. In casting, a small movement under great tension is far better than a large movement without tension!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts