Spey Pages banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I purchased a G. Loomis GLX Dredger, 13'9", 8/9. I'm 6' tall and will be wading. I can't decide on what specific 2009 line; I would like to fish either
Rio or Airflo. Cheater/multi-tips? Any & all help/suggestions would be appreciated.

·
Registered
317 Posts
I just started trying skagit lines, too, and at the advice of a good friend and spey instructor, tried the Airflo Compact Skagit. Wow. This is on a CND Solstice; just ordered another one from him for the Skagit Spec. He thinks its the best skagit line currently available. I don't have other skagit experience to compare it to, but it rocks. Absolutely effortless to cast; just shortened my stroke and slowed down.

Will be trying it out on WV smallies end of this week. I'm sure others will have other (and probably better informed) answers, but i really like this line.

kevin

·
Registered
2,829 Posts
Welcome to the Board.

I would recommend that you get some good instruction as a first step. The instructor should have several line and rod combinations to try out. That will drastically speed your learning curve. Next you want to get to a clave in your area where you can meet some others with an interest in fly fishing for steelhead and salmon. You would also get some great demos and a chance to try out a bunch of rods and lines.

·
Registered
599 Posts
Total grains

For that rod, I suggest you stay at around a total of 600 grains including the grain weight of any sinking tip you use. Either the Rio Skagit or Airflow Compacts are great lines. If you dial in your head and tips at around 590 to 600 grains total you will love that rod.

Rphelps:smokin:

·
Registered
45 Posts
the airflow 8/9 skagit with a ridge running line would be a nice fit, I've used the compact on a switch but seems a little short for a 13'9

·
Registered
773 Posts
I've been running a 450gr compact skagit and a rio 15' 11wt type6 that has been cut back to around 12'. The 530gr PNW skagit trimmed back to 500gr w/ 9-10' of t-10 has always been one I've wanted to try. Start with reasonably sized flies and get your casting grooved in before you try slinging big strips of lead-eyed rabbit fur.

·
Registered
485 Posts
Welcome aboard!

Do a search on this board. I'm sure you will find your answers. Nice stick BTW.
I have the 12' 9" 6/7 GLX. I use Rio's 450 Skagit with up to 10' of T-14 while chucking furry leeches all day. Although the Dredgers are considered soft for their line weight (more like a 5/6 in my case), I would think you could start out around 600 grains total and push that up to 700 fairly easily.
Again, do a search in the "rods" forum, lots of info there.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts