Spey Pages banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2,095 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Yesterday, I tried my new Skagit 550 with my old 7141 with very satisfying results.

I used a Rio 15' type 8 sinking tip for 8 weight rods and about 2' of Rio Max 13# tippet, and a large Striper Deceiver size 4. No Cheaters were used nor felt to be necessary.

As usual, the area where I casted was impacted with a high tide, swirling winds, no place to wade and zero room for any back casts.

In spite of these adverse conditions, I was able to shoot 3-4 rod lengths of line from the rod tip with most casts. What was pleasing was the ability to cast from either side with basically the same result. I used a tip with my old nail knotted butt leader with a loop. I'm sure that the new loop connection which Dana has highlighted will make this combo even more effective.

In summary with my 7141, I could cast longer than with my 6126 with the 450 Skagit and about as long as with my TCR 9129-4 with the 650 Skagit.

Re ease of casting, the 6126 is the easiest with the 7141 in the middle and the TCR a little harder to cast. My casting with the TCR was limited to 26' tips and 28' T14 tips.

So, if the shad, trout, summer steelhead and ? are out past the range of my 6126, the 7141 will be there during late spring, summer and early fall.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Dave/Grandpa Spey,

Just got back from the Sandy Clave and was intrigued by the RIO Skagit lines. However, I was much more taken with casting a bunch of rods out there so didn't get the scoop on these lines.

So, I was wondering if you could give some information on these lines, how to match them to a rod, what a "cheater" is and how you determine if you need one. (Okay, this should belong in a line forum but I saw your post in the rod section....my bad) :saeek:

Sorry for all the questions, Dave, I'm good for at least one drink at some future gathering!

Driftwood

·
Registered
737 Posts
query

Grampa,

Curious about your set up for your 6126: were you running T-14 straight off of the skagit 450? What was the maximum comfortable length for you? And what--if anything--are you going to use for a floating head? I plan to experiment, but just wanted to hear what you've discovered. Thanks.

·
Registered
106 Posts
Where are they?

Are these Rio skagit lines readily available?
Have checked the Rio website, but can`t find them.
Are they marketed under a different name ?

Thanks in advance.

Cascade.

·
Registered
2,100 Posts
Debarb,
Dave and I cast his 6126 with sink tips looped directly to Rio's Skagit Spey 450 line.

The rod cast well with Rio 15-foot tips from lightest to 205 grains, and T-14 to 15-feet [210 grains]. Time was not sufficient to test with heavier tips, but I believe it is doable

Bob

·
Registered
2,095 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
Skagit questions

Driftwood said:
Dave/Grandpa Spey,

Just got back from the Sandy Clave and was intrigued by the RIO Skagit lines. However, I was much more taken with casting a bunch of rods out there so didn't get the scoop on these lines.

So, I was wondering if you could give some information on these lines, how to match them to a rod, what a "cheater" is and how you determine if you need one. (Okay, this should belong in a line forum but I saw your post in the rod section....my bad) :saeek:

Sorry for all the questions, Dave, I'm good for at least one drink at some future gathering!

Driftwood
We just got home last night from the Sandy Clave, some extra time in the Portland Area and on the Oregon coast.

I'm probably the worst person on the board to ask questions about the Skagit system. However, I did get to see George Cook demo the Skagit system and Ed Ward in two sessions with an excellent off the water session with Ed and a few others.

First of all re matching the Skagit lines to the rods, go to Fly Fish USA and Mark's writeup re specific rods and the Skagit lines that match them.

The following Sage Rods which I own work well with the following Skagit lines.

6126-3 - Skagit 450 and no cheaters
7141-4 - Skagit 550 and no cheaters*
TCR 9129-4 - Skagit 650 and no cheaters

If I heard Ed correctly, to calculate if you need a cheater you multiply your rod length by 3.5 to get the optimum length of Skagit head and tip (total of both). It becomes obvious that cheaters are needed with the longer rods 14' and up.

The shorter rods, less than 14', don't need a cheater, and the rods longer than 14' probably need a cheater.

*I haven't used a cheater with my 7141, but I may if Rio starts selling the cheaters separately. It would probably perform better with the 5' cheaters, and there would be no need for the 10' cheaters. I'm not ready to lay out the money for a pack of 4 cheaters and only need the shorter cheaters. The 7141 performs very well for me with no cheaters. Also, we will probably see parts of the Cheater packages being sold in our classified section. Someone will buy the package and only want the 10' sections or the 5' sections and will sell the rest.

You need to post your question me as a stand alone thread. Then, maybe Ed and/or George will respond and help you. The best place at present to determine what Skagit goes with what rod is Fly Fish USA and Mark's writeup.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.