Spey Pages banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
344 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Happy Thanksgiving!

I'm purchasing (finally!) a tips line for my primary rod. The rod is an older Angler's Workshop 14' for a 9. The only other angler I know of with this rod is/was Doublespey (you there?), so I'm uncertain of what to purchase. In floaters, I fished a TT spey 9/10 for many years, and this fall I've been using an Airflo Traditional 7/8.

Would most of you choose to get a tips line the same weight you would choose for a floater, or lighter, or heavier? I am thinking of a Windcutter 8/9/10 or Delta 8/9 for the tips line. I can try Windcutter 7/8/9 and 9/10/11 floaters (my kids' lines), and I'm going to confirm that one is too light and one is too heavy, but I need to know if I'll want the same line weight in tips as I prefer in a floater.

Thanks for any thoughts.

--Bill

·
Junkyard Spey
7,114 Posts
Hey Sparse...

I would say you'd want the same line weight for tips if using the same line configuration. However using Peter's chart the 8/9 Delta or the 8/9/10 WC have the same casting weight as the 7/8 Traditional so I think those lines or any other lines with the same casting weight would/should work well for you. I have great faith in using Simon's line chart to find the right line weight for a given rod and then using Peter's chart to match up lines of other brands, or head configuration. Thank you Simon, Rio, and Peter.

·
Registered
344 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks, Mike.

I also use Peter's casting weight and Rio's recommendations in the same way, although I have much less experience with it. Also, I'm can't cast the whole Traditional head, so I have to derate the casting weight a bit.

Another related question: What are people's thoughts on the Rio vs. Delta tips? It seems the Rio has more tips, and greater flexibility with the 2 loop connections and the compensator, but I'm not sure how I'll like having the 2nd loop connection.

--Bill

·
loco alto!
3,109 Posts
Hi Bill,

I'd guess either the WC 7/8/9 or 8/9/10, but every rod has its quirks.

When comparing 2 short lines, I prefer a somewhat heavier line for tips as compared to the full floater. WIth tips, the heavier line promotes a deeper bend, which gives a powerful open forward casting loop. The open casting loop helps me, because I usually fish neutrally weighted flies with tips (match the tips sink rate), and this is prone to tangling with tight loops.

I could deliberately cast an open loop on a lighter line, but such a loop lacks sufficient power.

I have both the WC 7/8/9 and 8/9/10 lines. I'll be sure to bring them to the next NSSC meeting. If near water, we can try them back to back on your rod.

Steve

·
Registered
344 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks, wig. I don't think the next NSSC meeting will be on the water, but that may depend on weather.

Do you have the tips versions of the 7/8/9 and 8/9/10? If so, maybe we could join you if you are going to be out in the near future. Otherwise, if you just have the floaters, since I have the 7/8/9 and 9/10/11 Windcutter floaters, that will probably allow me to make a decision. Your thoughts about a slightly heavier line for the tips makes sense.

I was wondering if I would have more trouble getting the tips out of the water with a heavier line, since it would load the rod more on the lift and sweep, reducing the effective length, but your comments suggest otherwise.

--Bill

·
loco alto!
3,109 Posts
They are tips lines.

Overloading can be a problem when pulling out the tips. I like to strip in some line that was shot (at least 5'), then go right into the lift. Stripping in the line brings the tips to the surface. Dilly-dallying makes them sink again.

As far as when I'm fishing next - no specific plans - but I'd be glad to try up your way.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts