Spey Pages banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
2,095 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Yesterday my oldest heir and the best fly fisherman in the family and I went Striped Bass Fishing on the lower Napa River.

Normally the river is quite muddy/colored in the winter during and following rains. In spite of a lot of rain yesterday the river stayed reasonably clear.

He was fishing with a 10 weight one handed Scott rod, Rio shooting line and his hand measured/ sinking tips from Rio's new bulk sinking tip (t12 I believe, the brand of this bottom dredger)

I used my Bob Meiser 9/10 switch rod with Rio's Striper line, the 26 ft DC, 350 grain density compensated tips.

So both probably sank at about the same rate.

There were two differences, I used 3 foot 15# plain brown Maxima attached by a loop to the business end of my Rio Striper line. He used 3 foot of 20# plain brown Maxima attached a loop at the business end of his terminal rig.

We used different flies. I stuck with the same fly throughout the day.

The first part of the day, I out fished him 3 to 1. This hasn't happened since he was about 3 years old.

At noon we moved upstream to a sheltered area and the water was clearer. Then it got outrageous. I hooked and released 10 keepers with my same rig. He had zero.

We decided that it might have been the difference in the leader. So he went to a fluorcarbon of 17 lbs. He caught his first fish finally. During that time I caught and released 5-6 keepers.

Then he went to the same fly that I was using on the same tippet/leader. I still was out fishing him 3/1. He never changed the tippet/leader and went to one of his black magic Llama wool flies. In the last half hour he hooked 4 nice fish and released them. I hooked two more and said that was it. I was afraid to cast any more as my hands were losing their grip in the rain and after a lot of fish.

So size did matter apparently. In this case a smaller diameter/pound Maxima worked best.

Bob Meiser's switch rod worked great, and his special corks in handles enabled me to have a good grip on the rod during the rain and all of the fish. I was able to cast 70+ feet with a minimal effort two handed overhead or side arm cast. While my Neandrathal Son with a vicious double haul was blasting his casts out 100' feet.

The Rio Striper 26 ft DC line worked great, the fly worked great and the 15# plain brown Maxima only needed two loops all day, and I used the same 3 foot section all day. :devil:

·
Registered
134 Posts
Confession, we want a confession...

In the last half hour he hooked 4 nice fish and released them. I hooked two more and said that was it. I was afraid to cast any more as my hands were losing their grip in the rain and after a lot of fish.
Come on, admit it, you were afraid that he'd catch up to you :)

1 - 2 of 2 Posts