Spey Pages banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, when I'm using a 15 ft sinking tip, airflo. and I've added about 6 ft of 10 lb Maxima. Do I loop my tippet onto my sinking tip. The reason I ask cause my line snapped at the loop so I figure I must be doing something wrong. Is there any other way I can set up my sinking tip and leader?

Thanks

·
Relapsed Speyaholic
5,474 Posts
One method that has always worked for me is to nail-knot on a short 4-5" section either 20 or 30# Maxima onto the end of your tip. Next tie a small perfection loop in it and you have a loop that you can loop your tippet or sinking leaders to. As long as your tippet is less than the short section, any breaks should occur there.

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The sinking tips I use already have a loop on the end. Maybe I didn't tie the knot properly, I made a loop on my tippet/leader which is about 6 or 8ft and attached it to my sinktip. So my fly line has a loop already, then my sinking tip has a loop, then my leader has a loop, then I tie my fly. Is this setup ok?

One thing I also noticed is that the sinking tips I bought, the plastic coating is peeling, I guess from dragging on rocks and stuff. I'm using the air flo sinking tips. Any other tips I can buy? or where can I order them.

tx

·
Registered
2,100 Posts
Snoryder,

Assuming you mean your tippet snapped at the loop:

From my experience, many loop knots do not retain a high % of strength. Using 10 or 12 lb. Maxima, my failure point will usually be the loop attached the looped fly line. My perfection loops, figure eight loops and double surgeon loops will break at the fly line befoe my tippet to fly knot breaks.

There are at least couple of ways to go:
1. Makes loops in leader material using a bimini twist or a spider hitch. Beau on this board finds non-slip loops to be very high in breaking strength so you might try that knot.
2. Use a heavier butt section, as Sinktip suggests. However, I recommend connecting tippet to butt section with a double uni-knot [Duncan loop] which is well suited to connecting lines of different diameter. My choice for butt section is 20 or 25 lb.

An unconventional solution is to intentionally use weaker tippet to fly knots so breaks always occur there, but this seems counterproductive.

Assuming your fly line loop broke:
Make a new loop and secure it with two five-turn nail knots using 12-15 lb Max, or whip the loop with tying thread and bobbin or the hand held method Dana recently posted.

I put small loops in the ends of all my sink tips. When they wear, put in another.

·
Registered
2,829 Posts
snoryder

6 feet might be a little long for a sinking leader. Typically you want them short so the fly does not climb up above the tip. Four feet is pleanty long for a fast sinking tip.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts