Spey Pages banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
593 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I will be doing some bass fishing in a lake were water is 10 feet or more deep. What works better a floating line with a sink tip or just using a sinking fly line? Thanks.

·
registered text offender
1,362 Posts
most of my bass fishing has the advantage going to a floater w/ long leader and heavy fly. definitely the singlehander is the ticket. I don't fish much when fish are glued to the bottom. two hander ???

·
Registered
593 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I am using a single hand rod. Its a 7 foot 11 inch Sage Bass II Peacock 390 grain model . I will be using it for bass and pike out of a boat. Its a beast and will through huge flies. I just need to get the fly line down were the fish are.

·
Broken Down Spey Freak
1,665 Posts
Lake fishing presents many different scenarios. Depending on water temps, sunshine, bottom structure the fish could be at many different depths and it will be different between species as well. Fish maybe in shallow in the morning to feed and sun themselves but move deeper int ha afternoon as temps warm. Many times fish will hang just at the edge of a drop off or tight to weeds and never move unless pushed out by something.

I would suggest a couple different setups just to be prepared for anything. Have fun!

Dan

·
Banned
1,310 Posts
I'd go with a sinktip so I could quickly switch out the tip to a floater and throw topwater. A whole line is a pain to change (assuming you are taking one reel/spool).

·
Registered
593 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
What is the difference between a ploy leader and a sink tip? What length poly leader or sink tip due you use for trout and bass single hand rods. Is using poly leader or sink tip the same as putting split shot on your line?

·
Mindless Wanderer
106 Posts
smsnyder...I only use sink tips when fishing moving water - rivers and streams. I never use split shot because I truly value my rods and don't want to ruin them on the chance a cast goes awry and I hit the rod with it. Further, in the lake fisheries that I fish, they are fly fishing only and split shot are not lawful. When fishing lakes I use sinking lines of intermediate, #2, #4, and #7, all on separate reels, and typically on separate rods determined beforehand, in that I have one rod with a floater and another with a sinker while carrying a spare reel with a third choice.

As mentioned, above, I don't use split shot - ever. I use sinking lines in lakes in various sink rates. When lake fishing, I want as straight a line as possible, and I usually get it with full sink, compensated lines. The exception being when fishing with indicators and chironomids, when I strictly use a floater and weighted nymph when and where necessary.

And in rivers and streams I use sink tips of various weights. In this moving water, I rue the times in the past when I would get hung up on the rocks with the full sinking lines wrapped around obstacles. This I found was far less common when using tips.

Reactions: stosiak
1 - 9 of 9 Posts