Spey Pages banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I´ve read about sink tips on the board that you loop to your spey lines and shooting heads.
You talk about some kinds of sinktips where I don´t know what they mean: T-14 or LC-13 for example.
What would be the right sinktips to loop them to my guideline shooting heads fishing for deep standing salmon?
Stefan:confused:

·
Registered
439 Posts
The numbers (T-14 or LC-13 for example) relate to the sink rate of the material. The letter is a manufacture name for their product i.e. Lead Core- sink rate of 13" per second.

Hope this helps.
Leroy..............

·
Registered
2,829 Posts
Sink Tips

Stefan,
They come in various weights for the rod you are casting and in different sink rates. They are manufactured by AirFlo, Rio and others. You can buy them or build your own. Also a lighter version, polyleaders, can be purchased to use right off the tip. As an example, if you are using a RIO 8/9 midspey, you would purchase the RIO tip for that line from intermediate to 8 inches per second depending on how deep you need to get. go to the RIO or AirFlo site, the are sponsors, to learn more.

·
JD
3,609 Posts
LC-13 designates that this material has a weight of 13 grains per foot

LC-13 desingnates lead core weighing 13 grains per foot. Likewise T-14 Is a tungsten coated mono core with a grain weight of 14 grains per foot. T-14 has no taper and is sold by the foot. You can buy as long a length as you want and cut it to any length, make your own loops, and you are good to go.

·
Registered
11,027 Posts
Stefan, Just a short add-on to Jim's comment.

"LC-13 desingnates lead core weighing 13 grains per foot. Likewise T-14 Is a tungsten coated mono core with a grain weight of 14 grains per foot."

The lead core lines will be far stiffer than the tungsten coated tips; also will be considerably larger in circumferance. With sink tip material, thinner is better due to water pressure. E.G. leverage trying to force it back to the surface in the bottom 1/3 of the swing.

Fred

·
JD
3,609 Posts
Also worth consideration

Lead core, or the use of any lead product, is illegal already in some places. More are sure to follow. Anyone know of a tungsten replacement for lead wraps for fly tying?

·
Pullin' Thread
4,694 Posts
JD,

I've been using a tungsten/pewter wire instead of lead for woolley buggers and egg sucking leaches I tie commercially for the last 9 years. Just look for "lead free" wire in the shops because many of them carry it now, especially since it is becoming very difficult for them to find lead wire from material distributors. It is available in sizes from 0.35" to 0.10" in increments of 0.05".

·
chrome-magnon man
5,375 Posts
Stefan, back to your original question, I wonder if sink tips will give you the depth you need? I don't know how deeply you are fishing but sometimes a full sinking shooting head is the way to go.

Also, depending on the taper design of your Guideline heads you might have to cut them back before adding sink tips.

Another option is to run the sinking polyleaders off the front of your floating shooting head, depending again on how deep you are fishing.

Here is a link to a short article from the Spey Pages on splicing lines if you are looking towards making custom sinktip shooting heads:

splicing lines

If you want to loop them, make a loop by doubling the line core back on itself and then whip finishing the end of the core to the point where the core exits the line coating. Or you can use any of the commercially available pre-made line loops that slip over the end of your line.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
sinktip vs. full sinking head

Thank you for your help.
This year I want to fish for pacific salmon in the Skeena area. So I think I have to fish really deep. But I´m not very experienced with fishing fast sinking lines on a spey rod.
I got a Guidline Power Taper sink4/sink5 a few weeks ago. I´m not sure if that line sinks quick and deep enough. Maybe I can add an additional sink tip to this line, but I don´t know if it is fun to cast this combination.
Or I have a Teeny T200 and T300 for single handed rods, but I think these heads are to short to spey cast them.
What would you recommend?
Stefan

1 - 11 of 11 Posts