Spey Pages banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok. Posted about weighted flies earlier. I am used to feeling bottom in the winter months with a heavily weighted fly. I like this because I rarely loose a fly,( unlees I am just way too heavy), and I know if im making contact once and a while. Im in the zone for inactive or sliwer fish. A lot of guys are telling me to go lightly weighted and use the tip. I have tried this quite a bit and I have found that I feel I am lost in knowing if or where I am in the water column. I am very used to feeling bottom with my line when it is cold out. I do have good sucess with this meathod as I have been using it for a while. I would like some more input on what weight of tips to use and how to fish them so I can tell when I am clise to bottom but not snagging.

·
Registered
372 Posts
I use sinktips over weighted flies for 2 reasons.

1. I feel I can cast heavy sinktip out better than a heavy fly.
2. If the fly is bouncing off the bottom, it is not swinging, rather hanging up. Sinktips roll over rocks, and may slow the swing, but the fly will still be floating in the current.

I have had success doing it this way. But, if using a heavy fly with a lighter sinktip catches you fish, no one can disagree with success.:)

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
So can you feel the bottom as the tip touches the rocks. When I have tried this the sensation I get from the line feels like nothing. Do you watch your tip? Is there something im missing?

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
As well what do you do in faster water. Sometimes even t14 wont get down there by itself. Would a mow tip with a short section of t14 sink a fly in a fast run. I have not tried mow tips yet.

·
Registered
372 Posts
IDK how fast of water your fishing, but I never needed more than 12' of T-14. If I need to sink it more, I cast up river a bit more and slack the line to let it sink. If the river is flowing too fast to sink that, I home watching football.:D

I know there are deeper rivers than where I fish. The Hoh river on the OP comes to mind. In that case, I would use a Skagit Intermediate (sinking) flyline.

·
Registered
54 Posts
I use sinktips over weighted flies for 2 reasons.

1. I feel I can cast heavy sinktip out better than a heavy fly.
2. If the fly is bouncing off the bottom, it is not swinging, rather hanging up. Sinktips roll over rocks, and may slow the swing, but the fly will still be floating in the current.

I have had success doing it this way. But, if using a heavy fly with a lighter sinktip catches you fish, no one can disagree with success.:)

+1, I would also add a #3, and that would be if one ever botches a cast and "whacks" their fly rod with say, a fly weighted with dumb bell eyes, it could result in rod failure. Don't ask how I know this, but after having to send two rods in for repairs, I stopped using weighted flies, and utilize sink tips instead. Granted, this was during my learning phase, but still.....................

And yes, I catch steelhead, on the swing, in really cold water (in the thirties), utilizing unweighted flies and sink tips. My current favorite set up is an i Flight head coupled with medium i Mow tips (5/5 or 2.5/7.5).

1 - 6 of 6 Posts