Spey Pages banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I’m putting together my first spey setup and am struggling over what to get for sink tips. I went with Beulah’s website recommendation of a Tonic Switch 400 grain. They also recommend tips in the 60-110 grain range.

I think I’ve settled on Commando tips. For the 12’ length, they have 96 and 132 grain options. OPST also had a line recommendation chart specific to Beulah. For my rod, they recommend a 325 grain shooting head. On their generic chart, for Spey rods, they recommend a 132 grain tip to match up with the 325 grain shooting head.

I’m kind torn about what to do. Any advice or suggestions?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Broken Down Spey Freak
1,662 Posts
I would be inclined to stick with Beulah's recommendations at least to start. You may find you want/need more or less for your personal style. I would get used to what they suggest and once you are comfortable start switching it up. As I do, you may prefer one style of line over another but you need to start somewhere.

Maybe someone here is more familiar with this rod and setup and can make a better suggestion

Dan

·
loco alto!
2,990 Posts
It is generally a good idea to use the tip that’s recommended for a given head. That said, in this case, the tips are fairly comparable.

10’ tip at 110 grains averages 11 grains per foot
12’ tip at 132 grains averages 11 grains per foot

If you buy the 12’ commando tip and struggle with turnover, you can always trim it back until it works.

But generically speaking, for a skagit head of 400 grains and 22’ on a 5 wt rod, I’d personally choose a slightly lighter tip (9 or 10 grains per foot) if intent on 12’ to ensure good turnover at distance. Airflo T-10 or Rio 15’ 9 or 10 wt tips, trimmed to length. The 11 grain tips will be ok if sticking to shorter lengths (8-10’) and not wanting to bomb distance. This is just a generic sense of what’ll balance issues of anchor stick, line turnover, and fishing based on experience using various rods and lines.

·
Registered
3,183 Posts
The OPST lines are short and heavy, grains per foot is higher than your tonic line, and so a corresponding gain weight head will load a heavier rod than your five wt., and carry heavier tips. I like the OPST tips very much, and with your 400 grain tonic I'd go with the 96 grains tips.

As you're new to the whole game- I'd recommend getting just one tip in two lengths, Getting your casting dialed in, and figure out which length you prefer, before getting a set of tips.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for sharing your experience and knowledge.
SLSS, I like your suggestion of getting two different lengths since I’m not sure which one I will prefer. Or maybe it won’t be a dramatic difference?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
FISHIN' FREELANCER
1,425 Posts
20' section of Airflo "Customcut 200" - 10 grains per foot, factory looped on both ends, one cut gets you two tips of different lengths (or the same if that's what's wanted)

I've used this material for over 1.5 decades.. and will continue to do so. Has treated me VERY well.

Best of luck

·
Registered
3,183 Posts
Thanks for sharing your experience and knowledge.
SLSS, I like your suggestion of getting two different lengths since I’m not sure which one I will prefer. Or maybe it won’t be a dramatic difference?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Not dramatic, but noticeable. I prefer a little longer lines, and slightly longer tips, 12- 15 ft. Not the setup you want in every situation, but I find I'm more relaxed fishing it. I have to really concentrate when fishing the shorter, compact setups.

·
Registered
172 Posts
Also consider a 360 skagit scout - it will handle the tips described above, and is a bit smoother to cast than the Commandos

·
Registered
122 Posts
I’m putting together my first spey setup and am struggling over what to get for sink tips. I went with Beulah’s website recommendation of a Tonic Switch 400 grain. They also recommend tips in the 60-110 grain range.

I think I’ve settled on Commando tips. For the 12’ length, they have 96 and 132 grain options. OPST also had a line recommendation chart specific to Beulah. For my rod, they recommend a 325 grain shooting head. On their generic chart, for Spey rods, they recommend a 132 grain tip to match up with the 325 grain shooting head.

I’m kind torn about what to do. Any advice or suggestions?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
The Commando head will be easier to learn on. Go with what OPST recommends. OPST also makes the commando tips in 10' length now, so now you can fish a 110gr tip. DO NOT cut the Commando tips. They are density compensated versus regular tips which sink at the same rate throughout the length. When you start cutting off lengths of the density comp'd tips, things won't fish quite the same often for the worse.

Hope this helps.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts