Spey Pages banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All,
Any suggestions on how to get down deep quickly? Last year while fishing for coho's, it seemed as though I wasn't getting down deep enough...My current setup: sage 9141-4 with the Skagit, WC, and Mid.

It may be a little different this year since I recently purchased the Skagit head and am able to cast larger weighted flies but perhaps even with the type 8 with the sink tip comp, this will not be enough and I certainly don't want to come home with a skunk!

On RIO's website, they mention using the 24' Big Boy along with the WC? Or perhaps the T14 with the Skagit?

Any thoughts?

·
Registered
34 Posts
I was going to ask a similar question as i am thinking of using the big boy tips or a length of T-14 with my W/C to get down deep for early season fishing trips on big rivers. I may get a set of sinking shooting heads but dont have much experience with these and don't know anyone that has tried them on a B&W 15' #9/10 Norway to ask for advice, plus I would not use them much on my home rivers as they are relatively small and a 30 yd cast is about the max you need to cast. Hope we get some good replies from those who know.

·
Registered
2,095 Posts
A friend of Bob Pauli and Bob worked out a graph re sink rates

wilbert said:
I was going to ask a similar question as i am thinking of using the big boy tips or a length of T-14 with my W/C to get down deep for early season fishing trips on big rivers. I may get a set of sinking shooting heads but dont have much experience with these and don't know anyone that has tried them on a B&W 15' #9/10 Norway to ask for advice, plus I would not use them much on my home rivers as they are relatively small and a 30 yd cast is about the max you need to cast. Hope we get some good replies from those who know.
Send Bob a Private Message and he will tell you how to get this table.

G

·
Well you could try a straight out length of T14 as the head, instead of using it as a short sinking tip on the end of some other head.. Depends on the rod class but 30' will give you 420gns and 45' will give you 630gns. It will sink like a brick and cast like a rocket. All you need to be wary of is using a good tapered leader to stop dumping. I think you should try to stick to the 3x rule, like for a 12' rod you need 36' of head. Like with T8 it will give you 288gns, with Lc13 it's 468gns and T14 it's 504gns. Its a pity we don't have a T10 line to fill in the hole. If you got hold of a SA T40 tungsten line, which is 54' long and weighs in at 625gns. Like about??? 11gns/ft. It unfortunately breaks at 20lb but you could cut a chunk of it, 30 feet will run about 330 gns. It would be better to weigh the line at about 40 feet and chop it to suit your rod. Don't use tippets over 10/12lb. There are also AirFlo T38 and T36 tungsten competition lines. All have potential with Dh rods, if the core could be increased in b/S. Which is a forelorn hope.
Pray a few prayers.
I think these tungsten competition lines would sell like rockets if they could be made available to the general market with a higher core b/s because they really do fit the DH overhead casting scene like very close fitting gloves.
I use a T40 to test my DH rods and running lines. I use it on a TFO 12x12 and a coupe of TalonRA's A 12' 7/8 and a 14' 9/10. I have cast it on my TalonGraphite Midgar 15' but its a bit light. But it goes into next week on the others.
There are also T120 tungsten competition lines you could crop to suit your rods. They run to 1800gns. Just the berries for a 15' 11/12 Talon. VBG.
MaxG

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Wow! thanks for all the info. I'll have to let it "sink in" a bit (no pun intended) before making a decision...
Cheers

·
Registered
2,829 Posts
Maxg

there is T10. Airflo has custom cut tips and I just purchases some T10 from River Run Anglers - not sure of the source. You could contact Aaron.

·
Registered
1,526 Posts
Dont make this complicated!I rarely ever fish anything other than 10 to 13 ft of a type 8 or T14 with a Skagit and a 5 ft intermediate cheater[which just happens to load my rod right].If I ever need anything more than that,I am not aware of it,or if I am,I change my cast so as to get that down.I do that by casting 90 degrees or more,a mend and feed,or both.the time wasted changing lines a lot could be better used by searching for better water and more receptive fish.Fine tuning in between type 8 and T14 with T 10 seems a waste of time that can be done quickly with a method change.My thoughts on tips are similar to my thoughts on flies;".They take what you are using."Of course you need experience and MOJO to know what to use,but I believe there is wide latitude.I used to catch a ton of fish on airflow fast sink polytips[10ft],winter and summer.Lots of big aggressive fish.Only reason I switched to Rio was the coating on the airflo came off too fast.their life was short and I like the way T14 casts.sometimes ,when I want to swing all the way on a classic bar,it is to heavy to do that.Even type 8 in 10 or 11 wght is too much,so I have 9wght for those types of rivers or spots.If I want to change the depth with t 14 ,I do it with a change in length.i.e.I go from 10ft to 13ft or[ rarely]I will go to 15 or 18ft.Remember, also you can fine tune with a heavier fly.Coho are perfect for a leadeye.They love the bobbing action of a leadeye and some strips.Beau

1 - 7 of 7 Posts