Spey Pages banner

1 - 20 of 99 Posts

·
chrome-magnon man
5,375 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
"Tackle" seems like the most appropriate place for this ongoing thread.

Let's start a "single malt of the month club". This will give you an excuse to buy a good single malt once a month, drink most of it and share the rest with your friends. If you live near a few other scotch drinkers you can all take turns buying the scotch and have a monthly "speypages tube fly club" meeting in which you remove the new single malt from its tube (or box, or whatever), sample it, and then tie one tube fly (everyone has to have a hand in tying the fly, and only one may be tied. Post the results on the speypages).

Shall we begin with a manly malt? How's about Laphroig? A robust Islay, not for the faint of heart. Goes well with a good Cuban. I have fond memories of this malt, on the Thompson and Dean, and between beers in the summertime backyard of my Dad's old place in Surrey. Derek Brown brought me my first bottle direct from Scotland in 1997 and it has been a favorite ever since.

If you've never tried Laphroig, you'll want to appraoh it much like you would a sleeping dragon--slowly and with great care, ensuring that you don't rattle your chain mail too much. Ice it or cut it with a little water if you must, and this is recommended for first timers; those of us with damaged taste buds and otherwise scarred tongues will welcome Laphroig straight out of the bottle.

·
Banned
974 Posts
Laphroig

I prefer Laphroig in a snifter with one ice cube, a small glass of Guiness as a chaser, and, of course, a cigar. Sadly, I have enjoyed my last Cuban. Damn embargo.

·
Registered
202 Posts
At one time I was managing a group of engineers. I hired a guy who I later found out was having a hard time finding a job, which was suprising because he is a good engineer. At Christmas time he bought me a bottle of Laphroaig. http://www.laphroaig.com/home.asp It was one of the nicest things anyone has ever done for me. He got it because it was his favorite, but he admits, "It tastes like and old boot." You are right, it is not for the faint of heart. Since we don't want to scare off the new single malt drinkers maybe we should start with something a little less "robust?" :D

·
Registered
113 Posts
Dana If you've never tried Laphroig said:
Yeah, but after the careful approach it usually ends up in a battle to the death. The dragon has been slayed, and the knight staggers off victorious in search of another dragon. He will continue on his quest until he too is completely slayed.

I had my parents over to impress them with my culinary skills for dinner when I lived in my first flat. We had our dinner and then I poured a Laphroig for my Father and I. My father(normally a blend drinker) commented on how he had enjoyed the tipple, so we proceeded to drink the whole bottle. My mother and my partner(now my wife) were not at all amused.

If you want another nice Islay Malt try the Lagavullin 16y.o. Bruichladdich(pronounced brookladdie I believe) is another robust Islay.

My personal favourite, Springbank 12y.o. from Campbelltown(no longer available, boo hoo!). There is a Springbank 10 y.o but, although very pleasant, it doesn't come near the 12y.o. My current bottle opened is a Longmorn - very nice.

·
Registered
260 Posts
Gary W said:
If you want another nice Islay Malt try the Lagavullin 16y.o. Bruichladdich(pronounced brookladdie I believe) is another robust Islay.
QUOTE]

And howabout that sweet little drop ARDBEG??! Lovely, a more refined and not quite as violent and earthshattering as the other Islays. :D

·
Registered
202 Posts
I have a Lagavulin story too. :D

I had the absolute best meal I ever ate after a trade show in San Fransico. (It was Salmon of course. Just a little underdone so it melted in your mouth.) Along with the meal I had a double Lagavulin and it was incredible. I don't know if it was the high after the show or what, but I've always had a warm spot for Lagavulin since then. Actually, I've been looking for an excuse to get some Lagavulin... ;)

How available is Ardbeg?

·
Registered
113 Posts
I have to agree that Ardbeg do make some fine malts, but they tend to be less complex and don't have the same depth of flavour as Lagavullin.

If there is any Springbank 12y.o. left on that side of the Atlantic, buy all you can and drink it slow and neat, never look back!!!

·
Registered
18 Posts
fine malts

i have a nice 21 year old sat here with me so smooth and no fire ROYAL SALUTE i will be bringing a few bottles over to the speyarama next year if anyone is intrested in a wee dram
gary

·
Registered
11,027 Posts
speyman said:
I second the Ardbeg. A remarkable Islay malt.
The 30+ is phenominal.

I may have to drop in on Mr Evans and see the wall of malts.
I'm sure there must be 'something' better than Ardbeg ... but I can't immagine what it could be!! And you'd be most welcome anytime.

Fred

Side note: Oregon, well at least Southern Oregon's State stores carry the really bad 'crap,' or top of the line Whiskys. But do I love my trips to Brookings, Oregon and the Chetco River!!! YES INDEEDIE I DO. From our area you drive up to Grants Pass and over 199 to 101 on the upper end of the Calif. coast. Then north back up into Oregon.

Just before you get to the boarder you go past a series of 'adult beverage' stores. The last one on the left (Last Chance Liquors?) is owned by a guy who is REALLY INTO single malts. You can pay as little as $20 to as much as you want for a given bottle ... if I get out/past that place for under a couple of hundred bucks Joan asked we 'what happened?' :saeek:

·
Registered
112 Posts
I think Dana has picked a good one to start out with. I recently completed a bottle of the 15 year Laphroig. What an excellent single-malt.

About the only Ardbeg you can find around here is the 10 year (Correct me if I'm wrong -- I'm sure someone will). I haven't heard fantastic reports about it. However, I haven't tried it myself.

Springbank is another excellent malt. However, Springbank is difficult to track down. There was a bottling in the teens, a 15 or 16 year that was fantastic...

Lagavulin is available in great supply here (Whew!). Its what you'll find in my pocket most of the time.

·
Registered
886 Posts
I am deeply disappointed that the SPEYpages started with an island malt instead of a true SPEYside malt.

What next Irish? God forbid

·
Registered
260 Posts
Absolutely nothing wrong with the speyside malts :D

There seem to be wonderful brands from every part of Scotland. Talisker is another one I spoil myself with sometimes.

And that lowland Auchentoshan isn´t bad either. A good summer malt! Whereas a heavy Islay is marvellous beside the tying vice on a dark January night when the northerly is howling outside... almost makes you long for winter :hihi:

·
Registered
112 Posts
Willie Gunn, you have a good argument.

I'm not picky. I spend a lot of time with the Speyside single-malts. :)

Macallan and Balvenie are good for starters. Yumm.

Maybe for the second round we can go with the peaty Islay single-malts, Laphroaig, Bunnahabhain, or Lagavulin, etc.

·
Pullin' Thread
4,694 Posts
I have been given a bottle of Bowmore, a very nice Islay single malt for Father's Day. What a wonderful whiskey, although not for those looking for a light flavored dram.

Those of you who live in the land from whence these wonderful whiskeys come are fortunate indeed.

·
Relapsed Speyaholic
5,480 Posts
Flytyer,

I think you need a new keyboard. It appears the "e" is sticking on yours. :razz:

We don't want to offend our friends across the pond.

1 - 20 of 99 Posts