Spey Pages banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Dom
3,156 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The more I fish my two hander the more I see myself utilizing spey cast in my SH fishing for trout. I need a couple floating lines for my 6wt and 7wt single handers. Rio powerfly is a terrible spey casting line but good for overhead but im looking for a better spey casting line.

Im looking for a floating line that will spey cast short and long some fairly bushy streamers snd mice patterns. Wulff Ambush comes to mind but I also need a line that will be good casting overhead as well and I find that Ambush is way too clunky. Should I underline Ambush line if I want to overhead and spey it? Another line im strongly considering is Snowbee switch in lighter weights (200-300gr) or even light Beulah Elixirs. Those are 25'is scandi lines. Then Guideline Bullet... And lastly Airflo 40+... its a longer 35'ish line that will overhead and spey cast based on what others say. Would 40+ be good line for spey casts and double up as pike/trout line if casted overhead from boat? Choises choises...

Recap...

Line needs to:

Spey cast
Overhead cast
Turn over fairly big flies
Not to be very clunky

Hm...

·
Registered
3,295 Posts
I love the 40+ for both spey and overhead, but would use a lighter line for overhead than spey casting. Or maybe run it a bit heavy for overhead, and a bit light on the spey, and compromise a little with either so you can have one line do both.

·
Registered
895 Posts
While I haven't tried any of the other lines mentioned, I do have the 40+, and love it.

Single-hand speys and over head casts equally well.

-Bill

·
Dom
3,156 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Ok so in terms of 40+.... Can they turn over substantial sized fly with both overhead/spey casts? Current 40+ have 35' heads right?

·
Registered
547 Posts
I also need a line that will be good casting overhead as well and I find that Ambush is way too clunky. Should I underline Ambush line if I want to overhead and spey it?
Recap...

Line needs to:

Spey cast
Overhead cast
Turn over fairly big flies
Not to be very clunky

Hm...
This is a quote from Jan Erik Grandbo's website. Hopefully it may be of some help re a line for Spey and OH casting:

"When I fish places where I alternate between overhead casting and spey casting I often adjust the shooting head weight to be in between in order to get a good combination shooting head, for example for an 8 weight 10 feet rod where 22 grams would be the maximum weight for spey casting and 18 grams for overhead casting I would cut the shooting head so it would weigh 20 grams".

This is what I'm trying to do for my SH rod by cutting down a heavier shooting head so that it will be suitable for both, realizing that it will be somewhat of a compromise. Since I have the head anyway, I've got nothing to lose.

You might try a custom SGS as another option.

·
Scandit sublima virtus
2,263 Posts
This will be an unconventional suggestion, but it's worked for me well.

If you happen to have a 6wt or 7wt Outbound head, you can spey match those two rods. A 6wt Outbound, cut and turned around backwards and looped onto the running line, is a fantastic 6wt single spey weight and length, and when turned backwards makes a very effective scandi taper.

look at the line chart and visualize the head cut off and flipped end for end. You'll see what I mean. I had one, it rocked.

·
Heavy User May need Rehab
231 Posts
I do a ton of single hand Spey fishing with my 9' 5 weight sage vxp. For small stream fishing and other situations. I've tried a ton of lines including the 40+. As it turns out the airflo River & stream (part of their new super-dri product line) is the perfect SH Spey line IMO, also, it was designed with SH Spey casting in mind. The river & stream line has an actual delta taper, imagine that, nothing I've tried even comes close to this thing in d-loop shape, forward delivery and turnover. Let's not forget the 6% low-stretch core for hit detection.

I strongly suggest you try this line out, we all know about the delta taper, and its success in the two hand world. I'm sure people who have tried this line for SH Spey will agree it's amazing.

I've considered getting this line in 7wt. Simply to have a delta for my lightweight 5126, could also make for a great DH line.

·
Registered
3,295 Posts
Ok so in terms of 40+.... Can they turn over substantial sized fly with both overhead/spey casts? Current 40+ have 35' heads right?
If your fishing meat I would go with an appropriately sized Rage head. The 40+ has more of a scandi feel- not really an Intruder tossing line

·
Premium Member
537 Posts
the point of single handed spey casting is about getting the job done and enjoying the moments doing so,,,the need to cast intruders with single handed fly rods isn't really all that ideal. However,if you have to then the best option is to find a small enough Skagit head..that won't compromise your rod. The Snowbee Switch line and the Beulah Elixir are amazing lines but don't like intruders...nor do any of the Scandi lines...although you can tie intruders small and sparse but that might defeat the purpose. Here on the west coast water conditions will all too often dictate the lines we need very quickly..
if you want to have a lot of fun casting all the spey casts with a single handed rod then you will have a hard time finding anything more fun than the snowbee or elixir switch lines...try 200 grains on 5 .6. or7 single handed rods, 250 for 6,7 or 8wt single handed rods ..a lot of fun with great results
C

·
registered text offender
1,408 Posts
for exactly this, and a thousand other reasons, i like DT's. most of my sh speycasts are long line setup moves for my false cast. mostly for the dry fly. i dont overline, and i fish fast sh rods.

·
Dom
3,156 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
As of right now im stuck with two options...

I have one 6 weight 9' and 7 weight 9'6" to line up. I have 6 and 7 Rio Powerfly lines that are great for overhead chucking mice and other big flies but many times I find myself where I need to roll or spey cast and these lines are just not cutting it... One option is getting spare spools for each rod and don't mess around and go with Ambush beasts that would get the job done, but I would rather have one line that could do both...

At 18' and 20' Ambush (6 and 7 wt respectively) are too short for overhead so I opted for a bit longer but still powerful line.

Guideline Bullet. These lines are 26.5' headed and comes 200gr and 232gr. What do you think? Would this be a decent candidate as pike line to be fished from boat and spey casting tool for say chucking mice pattern?

·
fly on little wing
1,121 Posts
I have 6 and 7 Rio Powerfly lines that are great for overhead chucking mice and other big flies but many times I find myself where I need to roll or spey cast and these lines are just not cutting it...
What is the problem spey casting these lines?

Gary

·
Dom
3,156 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Alot of mass is consentrated in front taper and it kinda works against you because heaviest portion of line is ancoring rsther then being aerialized for loading a rod.

I am about to place an order or few Bullets and if they up to task my PowerFlies will be for sale.

·
All Tangled Up
677 Posts
As it turns out the airflo River & stream (part of their new super-dri product line) is the perfect SH Spey line IMO, also, it was designed with SH Spey casting in mind. The river & stream line has an actual delta taper, imagine that, nothing I've tried even comes close to this thing in d-loop shape, forward delivery and turnover. Let's not forget the 6% low-stretch core for hit detection.
I believe this is the same taper as the older "Ridge Supple Technical". I agree this is a superb single-hand spey casting line, it is my favorite. Actually it's a great overhead line, too, if you can manage the long head. And that may be an issue in this application, the head length is 45ft, with a fine front taper. Spectacular for soft hackles if one can manage that head length on a SH rod. Maybe not so great for speycasting big flies in confined quarters.

·
All Tangled Up
677 Posts
A 6wt Outbound, cut and turned around backwards and looped onto the running line, is a fantastic 6wt single spey weight and length, and when turned backwards makes a very effective scandi taper.

look at the line chart and visualize the head cut off and flipped end for end. You'll see what I mean.
How confident are you that the real taper matches the advertisement?

·
fly on little wing
1,121 Posts
Alot of mass is consentrated in front taper and it kinda works against you because heaviest portion of line is ancoring rsther then being aerialized for loading a rod.
i have rio outbound shorts that SH spey cast and OH cast well with 9' rods.
Gary

·
Registered
1,937 Posts
Valid concern! Outbound lines DO NOT have the taper which is pictured. I have many OutBound and OBS lines and all have about 5 ft front and 4 ft rear taper and in between it is level line. When both halves are weighted the head is slightly balanced to the rear so it is better for Spey casting without head turn backwards.

Esa

·
Scandit sublima virtus
2,263 Posts
If it's like most other things in life, not much... but I am confident that whatever it is, it casts nicely and the weight is distributed well. The truth is in the cast. At the time, (this was quite awhile ago), I miked it to be sure. It was a compounded wind taper, maybe the profile has changed since.

·
Registered
229 Posts
There are a couple lines that I can stand by for this. The loop lines for single hand are great spey lines because they're built for single hand. The triangle taper plus line is an excellent line and can be cut back to turn over bigger flies. Also, the beulah elixir in a full line is another great choice. Just some suggestions

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 - 20 of 27 Posts