Spey Pages banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
909 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
In the course of teaching my 10 year old son how to speycast I found a useful tool for my trout fishing this year, a single handed snake roll, I was tossing big flys alot easer with the snake roll, and farther, no more tailing loops. I did get alot of power surges in the line though on the foward delivery, my question is this how do I get rid of them ..............Nate

·
Pullin' Thread
4,694 Posts
Nate,

Use a long belly single-hand line: steelhead taper, salmon taper, long cast, etc. These line allow the power to be dissapated over a longer length of line and allow you to spey cast a single-hand rod with 40+ feet of fly line out the tip of the rod.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Single handed spey casts

Nate,
I'm particularly fond of the Rio Steelhead taper (floating line) for single spey casts. Though it doesn't come in the versi-tip format, you may cut it and add tips to enhance your options. The line has a long belly taper that also really mends well when you're using a single hander. John:smokin:

M

·
0 Posts
I use the SA Steelhead Taper on my 10' 7wt. and simply love the combination. Prior to learning certain basic spey casts I mostly tolerated the rod, now it is my favorite spring/summer rod and I would be hard pressed to give it up. Maybe because I am not expecting great distances, like with my larger spey rods, I fish more relaxed (confident?), yet I cover so much more water with less concern for obstructions.

mmm

M

·
0 Posts
And I should really add that I followed Sinktips advice of last Spring as to where to cut the line and what weight sinktips to use (in this case 6 wt.). By cutting AND spey casting I get to use the tips without the common chuck & duck. Yeah, spey casting the single hander is a given in my book.

mmm

1 - 5 of 5 Posts