Spey Pages banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
G.loomis NRX+ 8110
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What are some great size integrated skagit lines for 6 wt in 9'6?

·
Registered
138 Posts
I've had good results from SA Spey Lite skagit and the Commando Smooth for single hand spey. OPST Commando line chart shows a 225 grain for 6 wt rods up to 9'6". You could go 250 if your rod is a faster more powerful 6 wt and it also depends what kind of load feel you like.

·
Registered
G.loomis NRX+ 8110
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I've had good results from SA Spey Lite skagit and the Commando Smooth for single hand spey. OPST Commando line chart shows a 225 grain for 6 wt rods up to 9'6". You could go 250 if your rod is a faster more powerful 6 wt and it also depends what kind of load feel you like.
Thank you, I have tried 240 for my recon and I just found it was a tad too heavy. I dropped down to a 200 but felt it wasn't loading like I wanted it to. So I think I will look into opst commando 225. Thank you

·
Registered
72 Posts
225 commando will definitely work very well. It’s not a skagit head but my favourite single hand Spey line by far is the sa Spey lite scandi. The 240 grain would be very nice on that rod.

·
Administrator
19,107 Posts
Royal Wulff Ambush lines were designed for single hand Spey casting.
These are excellent !!

I have been enjoying my Cortland DT lately on my single hand. It is a pleasure to cast and fish, more so than any shooting head. It is a forgotten delivery system, even though it has the most flexibility of any line system available. I have cut it back 5ft in to the tip taper and looped it using two Nail Knots with a thin layer of UV Aqua-Seal. This allows me loop on a long mono leader or a sinking poly. The DT allows me to dead drift a dry fly, wake or skitter, grease line or use a sink tip. The DT can handle any spey cast. I line my DT's one line size up for my single hand rods.
Just an option to think about :)

Mike

·
Registered
5,286 Posts
The Wulff Ambush is excellent all around. Overhead, anchored (spey-casts). They're intended for nymphing/indicator rigs which means they're also good for casting a larger weighted (heavier bulkier) fly same way a short skagit head. Short and heavy - in my experience for a 6wt rod for example one can go with either 5 or 6 wt Ambush for all around and do "everything."

·
Registered
67 Posts
I just recently revived my love affair with Ambush on my single hander. It's just a fun line to cast!

·
Registered
G.loomis NRX+ 8110
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I just recently revived my love affair with Ambush on my single hander. It's just a fun
I just recently revived my love affair with Ambush on my single hander. It's just a fun line to cast!
Thank you
I fish for sea trout in a still estuarine body of water that have coves with no room for back casting. I started out in making single hand spey casting. I will definitely look into this line. Is it the triangle ambush ?

·
Premium Member
3,707 Posts
Technically the Ambush was designed/optimized for “roll casting” but I guess six of one, half a dozen of the other. I would add that, personally, I find that unlike your typical shorty-short heads the Ambush also does snake rolls quite gracefully.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts