Spey Pages banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
225 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Long before I ever picked up a spey rod I learned to spey cast with a single handed rod. Single hand spey fishing we called it. My use of a single hand rod has been limited to a month or so in the summer and for winter fishing none in years, as about the time I started winter steelhead fishing was when I picked up spey rods (20 years ago). On a recent trip I gave into my urge to fish a single hand rod and a sink tip. I still spey cast and enjoyed my self a lot. Here is a little story: https://cabinoneblog.wordpress.com/2015/01/22/something-old-is-new-again-for-me/

I don't see many people swinging with a single handed rod anymore. Mostly bobber fishing but I completely enjoyed it and I need to work to make sure that it is an other tool in the box.

JJ
https://cabinoneblog.wordpress.com/

·
AJS Reels
482 Posts
Single Hand Spey

My journey into spey has been the reverse. Straight into a DH then found the skills learnt greatly benefited single handed rod casting, to the point where I will incorporate a snake roll to get back into a feeding fish quickly. Skagit heads come in the lighter grain weights and with a superfast poly leader winter runs here in N.Z. are targets. Beulah Classic 6wt for tight stuff and have just picked up a Sage Response 697, highly underrated rod. Hopefully OPST release there much anticipated skagit line soon?

·
Registered
1,151 Posts
I learned to spey cast back in the mid 80's. At the time i didn't know such a thing as spey casting existed. It was just a matter of doing what it took to get the line from downstream to upstream and then putting it out into the river with no back cast room. I got my first 2 handed rod in abut 1991. the Last few years i have been reverting back to the single hander because i miss the intimacy of a shorter line and am coming to realize that a single hander just presents a fly better.

·
Registered
11,027 Posts
With a 6 or 7wt single hander rod and proper line.

A 10' seven weight (mines an old Sage) will zip line. Close in fishing with a 2hander is a fools game. Have a new "Orvis Hydros Power taper wf" on my desk. We shall see, we shall see when I'm steady enough to stand in moving water.

"Parkinson's" is a total pain in the butt. Hope none of you old 'farts' go there.

fae

·
Registered
387 Posts
I only WISH I knew how to "spey cast" with a single hander long before I did! Once I learned on a DH I moved it to the SH and was able to hit spots I never could before. not only that but without having to strip line I could eat beef jerky and cast at the same time!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts