Spey Pages banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Clever Title Goes Here
333 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was wondering. Instead of buying another running line for a new setup I'm putting together, what do you guys think of using a 7 weight fly line instead?

I have an old single hand line (Airflo Ridge Line WF7F (distance taper)) sitting around collecting dust. Is this a bad idea to use as a running line? I'm not exactly sure what the taper is on the thing, but considering it is a WF line, it probably isn't ideal.

What do you think? Maybe I'm being cheap, but if I have a line just sitting around, perhaps I can put it to good use.

Thanks,
Rick

·
Registered
1,937 Posts
If breaking strenght is high enough it should be good. I would take enough thicker head (up to 1.5 times rod lenght) so that you are able to grab it when casting as thicker is easier to hold.

·
Registered
100 Posts
Rick,
You'll at least want to cut the front taper off so it won't drag through the guides as you shoot, actually, I'd remove the front '25 to get rid of most of the grains....then again just use the running line.

Now this is really crazy, If you don't want to cut it perhaps just put it on backwards...if you can get it all to fit on your reel.

James

·
Clever Title Goes Here
333 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I'll probably just go buy a running line in the end. Since it doesn't sound like an ideal situation. Just figured I'd make use of a line that otherwise just sits in a drawer. The fact that it is probably a bit thicker (I haven't held an Airflo Ridge Running line, so I cant say for sure) may mean that it won't fit on my reel anyway.

Does anyone know what the thickness of the Ridge Running Line is? I'm assuming it is level the whole length.

·
Registered
626 Posts
ive cut the front taper off many fly lines to make them into running lines. cut cut the thick taper off and youll be fine as long as 60 ft or so of running line is enough for you

·
Registered
2,829 Posts
30#

is 0.040 in in diameter and orange. 20# is 0.036 in in diameter and yellow.

·
Registered
118 Posts
What kind of line will you be casting? Short shooting heads for example benefit from a running line like the Airflow Ridge that really zip through the guides for significant distance. They also come with a wide end loop that lets you easily switch heads streamside. Some factors to consider...

·
Member FRSCA
2,264 Posts
I think its an awesome idea. I would leave about 15 of the rear of the body on the running line. Especially on a custom head without a rear taper, the body of the 7wt line will give a nice thick spot to get some overhang, and smooth out the transition between the two.

I use the running line from a couple Airflo 40+ lines that I cut off for heads. I put a good sized loop on the end by just folding it over and threading it through some braided mono. Its just the running line though, no body.

Curious to hear how it works out, report back.

·
Registered
873 Posts
Wow...

I agree with Jamey, that's a damn good idea. I've been using a Cortland 444SL running line they designed for chuck n duck fishing with a ten foot "body" at the end of it that would make it easier to mend doing this kind of fishing. I like it because it gives a little more "beef" at the shooting head connection and as a previous poster mentioned it's a little easier to hold on to. Leave ten feet or so of the body and either weld a loop or throw on a braided loop and presto change-o, instant running line.

Now I know what to do with all the old wf lines I've got spooled up on empty 20 oz. bottles. I'm also guessing that smaller lines will have smaller diameter running line, so if you had say a four wt and an 8 or 9 wt line, you'd have a skinny one for good weather and one with something a little bigger to grab onto when it's cold and the fingers get clumsy.

Great way to recycle old lines!! Good thinkin', Rick!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts