Spey Pages banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Any suggestions for something simple (like a 3 material design) for a beginner spey fly tyer? I want to catch some steel on home-made flies with my 7WT skagit setup.

Gotta build the confidence with some easier ties before getting into the elaborate stuff, if ya know what I mean...:hihi:

Any suggestions on where to start? I only have experience with woolly buggers, PTNs and GRHEs

Thanks in advance

·
Registered
310 Posts
a "Spey" pattern? Lady Caroline.
My favorite spey pattern to tie and fish is the Orange Heron.
Both have a short list of materials, both are relatively easy to tie but difficult to master. Welcome to the madness!!

·
Grandpa Howard
3,432 Posts
When you say spey fly, do you mean a classic spey fly. If so here is a step by step for the Purple King. Learn to tie this one and you can pretty much tie any of the classic spey flies.

http://www.speypages.com/speyclave/showthread.php?t=44972

Now if you are thinking “spey fly” correlates to any fancy fly fished on a “spey rod”, there are all kinds of options. Strip wing, feather wing, married wing and even hair winged flies all can be tied in a size and color that would best suit the river you are fishing. It all depends on what you are looking for.

·
seaterspey
2,198 Posts
Lady Caroline is somewhat easier than some of the others but still difficult to master.

Purple King as Marty mentioned would take you through all of the different types of procedures and then you can carry that to other flies.

Of course you could also just make one up for yourself as well. Just look at the basics in a spey fly and pick your own colors.

I would get John Sheweys book on Spey and Dee flies, it will help you a great amount.

KC

·
Dom
3,157 Posts
I've done the same mistake when I first started with two hander and called all flies designed to be swinged spey flies. Then I quickly learned that spey fly is an old traditional flies tied in Scotland jara jara... All masters flamed me for calling my flies "spey" flies.

You call it whatever you like but steelhead flies are steelhead flies... To be more specific in terms of how you call one is dictated what wing it sports. Hairwing, featherwing, mixed, or married wing. Then you have big meaty flies such as variations of intruders, leech, ect patterns.

Just some basic terminology here for you.

Using true spey fly such as Lady Carroline or Purple King might not be the best fish catcher to start with. Many tiers here understands the trade offs and self restraint when using traditional spey flies. They catch fish but if you want to catch fish then here is my take on this...

Skagit will toss big flies and steelhead like them. Get yourself some rabbit strips, marabou, some flashabou and Sanyos laser dub for creating heads. Add dumbell eyes if conditions dictate.

·
Dom
3,157 Posts
And by the way Youtube is a very good learning tool. Check out Caddis fly videos, they have some good quick to tie patterns demonstrated. Good luck!

·
Registered
5,305 Posts
Three materials total:

Not very easy to describe the spey but I may be able to help with a picture. Since you are familiar with PTNs or maybe the similar Sixpack :

P8083409.jpg
Tail - a tuft of marabou (woolly buggers.)
Body - Ringneck Rump ( twisted PTN-fashion.)
Hackle - Ringneck Rump palmered.
Wing - Ozark Oak Mottled Turkey Wing Quills / Speckled.

Follow Marty's excellent tutorial, borrow gold ribbing from your GRHEs to rib the body and have at it.

·
Bamboo Rod Maker
334 Posts
Skagit will toss big flies and steelhead like them. Get yourself some rabbit strips, marabou, some flashabou and Sanyos laser dub for creating heads. Add dumbell eyes if conditions dictate.
I couldn't agree more. Turn your imagination loose. A few dark and somber and a few bright and flashy should get hings rolling.

Here is a quick one.

Tan rabbit strip
dub an Ice dub body
a few strands of copper flash of your choice
a few strands of silver flash of your choice
Palmer a big purple marabou feather
a few strands of copper flash of your choice
a few strands of silver flash of your choice
Palmer a black schlappen feather

tie it off and go fishing.

Have fun,

Jerry

·
Registered
1,165 Posts
BC,
I was/am still wondering what others had asked you about what you mean by "spey flies". If you're meaning classic type spey flies there are some that are a bit easier than others, or can be made a bit more simple to suit your needs.

If on the other hand you are looking for something simple to tie that will fish well on the swing then I would have to concur on the bunny/marabou type flies. They can be as simple, or complex as you wish. A very simple type of fly to start with, and one that has hooked a lot of fish for me in several variations is as follows:

Wrap about 3/4 -4/5 the hook shank with sparkle braid, then rib it by wrapping some wire the opposite direction. Add a small ball of dubbing to help prop the "wing" up (you could add a couple turns of some lead free wire under the dubbing for weight if you wish), then wrap a marabou feather 2-4 turns right in front of the dubbing. You could easily fish this as is, or add a collar of some shorter and stiffer fibered feather, just don't wrap too many turns or make this too dense. A couple strands of flash on each side are usually helpful too.

You can easily add components to this fly as you gain skill, though as far as a fishing fly goes this one is pretty darn effective and can be tied in very small sparse sizes to some fairly substantial sizes.

Couple of things to watch for:
-Keeping the body thin is important, as is keeping the wing somewhat sparse in order for the fly to be able to sink quicker.
-Do be sure to match the barb length of the marabou to the size hook you're using; if you are tying smaller versions it's easy to have the marabou hang so far back that you'll likely get a lot of short strikes that miss the hook point, and if you're tying larger hooks you want to be sure that you start wrapping where the marabou barbs are long enough to reach back to the back of the hook or slightly past.
-Very key to the performance of this fly is how well the wing is propped, and the best way to learn about this is to drop the fly into some flowing water and observe. You'll notice how much this fly will move and look positively alive if the wing has been propped up well, otherwise the marabou will be matted into a thin pencil shape and have very little movement.

Have fun,
JB

1 - 10 of 10 Posts