Spey Pages banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK, go easy on me fella's. After seeing all the gorgeous flys posted here I thought I would post pictures of a few that are working for me. They are obviously not on par with what you guys are turning out but they are catching fish for me. The leech pattern is a stone cold killer but difficult to cast any distance. The "Steeliebugger" was intended to be lighter, easier to cast rendition. Something simple from a guy who is more and more all thumbs at the vice as the years pass.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,623 Posts
Are you kidding? This looks like a beautifully designed and executed fly. Although I don't tie this style, I certainly can appreciate quality on many levels.

dave

·
Grandpa Howard
3,432 Posts
I am all about that wooly bugger. Some of the first steelhead I hooked came to a purple wooly bugger. I think I might just have to tie up some for my next trip. Thanks for the inspiration. As for the flies you have posted. You can't go wrong with the color combo and the there nothing better than a big old bunny to get steelhead moving. Well done.

·
Registered
895 Posts
Those are great! Well tied and you have confidence in them, really all that matters!!

When I first got into tying the more complex and "gaudy" Steelhead and Atlantic patterns, I filled up the boxes with way too many flies that any one could ever use.

Upon introducing a buddy to steelheading, he asked, "Do you really need all those flies?" My response, "No, this is all you'll ever need", and handed him a black Wooly Bugger! :whoa:

-Bill

·
Registered
557 Posts
We all start somewhere, and you are off to a great start.

The only thing I would say is to shorten the stinger on the first one so you don't "pipe" any fish. As Marty said, the second one is very nicely done.

keep up the good work :)

B

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the kind words fella's and good call on shortening the stinger on the leech pattern. I've tied for many years but Winter steelhead is fairly new to me. I suppose I'm really a nymph and wet fly guy at heart. Now that I'm retired I needed something to fill my time during the winter month. Chrome just seemed to be the natural thing to do. Way tougher than summer steelhead, but I enjoy the chase and a good challenge. Now that I'm having some success, who knows, I might just have try these feeble old hands at some of the classics. Sure enjoys the posts here, good folks and tons of talent.

·
Registered
124 Posts
That leech is very close to what I fish pretty regularly. I don't tie anything fancy like a lot of the guys on here either, but bunny leeches are definitely effective. The bugger is solid too, the only thing that I would change would be to tie the eyes in on the top of the hook so it rides point up, a few less snags when you are fishing deep.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
There is actually an inverted stinger obscured in the tail just cant see it. Im notorious for using long streamer hooks for shanks. I should have cut the hook off the "shank" for the photo. Good eye though.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts