Spey Pages banner

1 - 20 of 113 Posts

·
Spey in the South?!
137 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys-

I was surprised to read in Spey Casting that Simon Gawesworth seriously questions/doesn't believe that Alexander Grant was able to make his reported 60 yard+ cast in 1895 with a long greenheart rod. I have never seen this statistic seriously challenged elsewhere, and I will say that I am 90% sure the report is true. Victorians were meticulous recordkeepers engaged in scientificating about everything in the world- if they said they measured I bet they did.

Now the how of it is the really interesting thing. I've got no idea how it was done, and Simon certainly knows more about it than me.

So what do you think: likely or not?

Zach

·
Registered
618 Posts
Alexander Grant

having spent the last year studying Alexander Grant , and living 6 miles from where he was born, i cannot believe Simon Gawesworth is disputing the distance he cast, i am fortunate to have access to books about him and his life, that are no longer in print, and by different witnesses.
You would have to understand the man , his thinking, then you would know that simon gawesworth is wrong.
Alexander Grant was a genius, and this summer i intend to prove it.

·
Registered
150 Posts
Gord Whats on this summer?

Gordon

·
Registered
618 Posts
Alexander Grant

hey gord,
you know what i'm like with the old books, and greenheart rods, well soon there will be greenheart rods built to the exact spec as the Grant Vibration, and i mean exact, inch for inch, grain for grain.
you can torque wood, you cant torque carbon.
I dont know if i can mention the rod builders web site ? :)

·
Registered
618 Posts
Alexander Grant

i dont know if i am allowed to post the rod builders web site on these pages, i will if its ok, if some one can tell me its ok ? :)

·
Registered
562 Posts
Speyghillie,
As long as it is not a hotlink my understanding is it is fine. Burkheimers are talked about all the time and he is not a sponsor. You might want to encourage this builder to be a sponsor.

Gillie

·
Registered
24 Posts
speyghillie said:
having spent the last year studying Alexander Grant , and living 6 miles from where he was born, i cannot believe Simon Gawesworth is disputing the distance he cast, i am fortunate to have access to books about him and his life, that are no longer in print, and by different witnesses.
You would have to understand the man , his thinking, then you would know that simon gawesworth is wrong.
Alexander Grant was a genius, and this summer i intend to prove it.
Speyghillie,

Like you I am fascinated by the early Spey casters especially Grant. I do have one of the later Somers & Sons versions of the Grant Vibration as well as a number of cane Spey rods. All in an attempt to better understand what they were doing. I'm always on the lookout for books or articles on Grant & others of that era, even if they are out of print. Is there any chance you could send me a bibliography of what you've found, either by PM or posted. I certainly would love to see what there is out there on Grant that I've missed.

Jay Beckstead
Medford, OR

·
#&%*@^# Caster
3,058 Posts
I do not have much trouble believing it. Have heard Scott Mckenzie is regularly breaking 60 with an 18 foot rod and seeing that Grant was using a 21' rod it seems reasonable enough to think he could hit 60 yards.

Give those musto competition guys 21 feet of rod and a line to load it and you would probably see casts well over 70 yards.

-sean

·
Registered
618 Posts
Alexander Grant

Thanks ghillie,
The rod builder is going to be a sponsor of speypages very soon, i think i will have to speak to him first. :)

·
Registered
3,042 Posts
Speyghillie,

Go ahead on posting the URL, so long as it is not a hotlink it is within the Speypages guidelines to protect sponsors. As well, you are contacting re the value of sponsoring the Spey Pages - so double good on you!

·
Registered
618 Posts
Alexander Grant

Hi Jay,
i will hope to be able to put something together soon, the season start here on the spey soon and i ain't nearly ready.
Later on i hope to be able to put some things together.

·
Registered
2,735 Posts
Maybe I am out to lunch but it was my impression that Grant's cast was a pick up and lay down switch cast that did not shoot line. If so that is hard to fathom. I would have no trouble believing the cast if he was shooting line as folks are very close to that today

·
Damn fish ladder
199 Posts
A bet?

I'll put $20 that says that no one in the world can cast 186' with a greenheart rod and silk line. I call BS.

Anyone care to take my wager or add on to it?

1 - 20 of 113 Posts