Spey Pages banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Looked through Simon new book today on spey casting not bad. Talks alittle bit about the underhand style and Ed Wards skagit cast the perry poke. The color illustrations of the different spey casts not bad. Check it out.

·
Registered
194 Posts
Here's the ISBN

·
Registered
147 Posts
Simon's Book

I too, must comment. Am a little more than half way through it. For me from my "Spey 101" experience or lack of it, to be certain, this Book speaks volumes. The color pics show the rod and line so well. I am impressed with this Book. Have seen where SOME MORE of my problems are coming from and what to do to correct them. Don't I sound like a little kid with a new toy? I feel like it. Just my$0.02. Best, Stiver

·
Registered
938 Posts
Every book published in the USA - and 158 other countries -- is given one of these number. "ISBN" stands for "International Standard Book Number". It is better than a title for identifying books. Use it on the large Internet bookseller sites to buy Simon's book if you wish.

·
Here we go again!
620 Posts
Muckle Salmon said:
Whats an ISBN :confused:

ISBN stands for international standard book number and is the standard reference # for that specific book. If you go into any major bookstore or library they can quickly search that # and, lo and behold, "Simon Gawesworth, Spey Casting" comes up and you can see then if it is in stock and available, or search for it's whereabouts. Then you can try to explain to the bespectacled bookstore geek behind the counter what spey casting is, for they will surely ask :confused:

·
Registered
212 Posts
Simon's book

I am a decent, but not a good caster yet to give the reader of this post an idea of my ability. I am VERY enthusiastic about Simon's new book. The real accomplished caster might not show my enthusiasm. The pictures are wonderful, the descriptions clear, and at last all the main casts are categoried and nicely described. I did find one passage confusing and Simon promptly cleared it up for me via e-mail. On page 186, second column, the next to last full paragraph, last sentence, was not clear to me. Simon's e-mail read:" Good point, I should have had you as a proof reader. The perfect position of the nail knot at the end of stage l (not "2") should land on a point that is one rod length DOWNSTREAM of you (say 14 feet), AND five to six feet out into the current. Sorry that wasn't clear...." This book will be a classic.

·
Registered
73 Posts
clyde olson said:
This book will be a classic.
Lets hope so, i've just ordered my copy a few days ago. This book has had some good reviews even though the critics will always find fault.

Your review lends me some comfort.
--
Keith.

·
Registered
11,027 Posts
Got one of the early copies via Mike at RedShead and it's a WONDERFUL book on spey casting. Photo's all in colour, string of them so you can see the cast develop, and then excellent 'line drawings' on what's going on.

Major 'tip of hat' to the SimonMeister!!

·
Registered
2,095 Posts
My Trophy Bride bought me one for our anniversary which is tomorrow. She got me the autographed one.

I am looking forward to reading it and then reading it again.

·
Registered
194 Posts
I love this book and would recommend it highly, but at times I felt the pictures and diagrams did not do justice to the excellent writing.

·
Registered
2,095 Posts
My Trophy Bride gave me Simon's Great new book, his limited edition, for our anniversary, today.

I have spent about 20 minutes scanning it.

It appears to be a superb book.

Exactly what one would expect from our Spey Bro, Simon!

·
fly on little wing
1,116 Posts
I worked my way around most of the book this week

and I think that it is an excellent companion to the Rio International video starring Simon. I feel that the biggest benefit of the book is the common mistakes and faults that get pointed out (yes, I am guilty of some of these)

The book is clearly written and the accompaning photographs are very good.

A tip for anyone starting out. A book is not the best place to start. Live interactive learning is the best, followed by a video. Casting is way too dynamic to be captured in a static medium.

Gary

·
Registered
239 Posts
It is inherently difficult to teach dynamic activities in a book format, but like great books which have done so in the past (e.g. Nickalaus' Golf My Way, Hogan, some very good tennis books), I think Simon has done the Spey world a great service with this work. Despite the limitations inherent in the media of print, in my opinion, this represents the only modern Spey instructional book that makes any sense whatsoever. Having had the chance to see Simon set the "Gold Standard" in instruction while we were running the FFF Spey examination (for the first time), there simply isn't anyone in America who can explain Spey casting on as many levels as Simon. A true gift is to explain complicated concepts in a simple way; to do this requires absolute understanding of the subject matter. I think this book is a mandatory addition for every Speycaster's library, as is Derek Brown's video.

Well Done Simon!

Way

·
chrome-magnon man
5,375 Posts
Sometimes I think Vancouver is near the ends of the earth!

I'm still waiting for my copy, which is en route somewhere between the US and Canadian postal services--sounds like it will be worth the wait!

·
Steelhead are cool!
572 Posts
I looked through Simon's new book and thought it was great. Very thorough.
My one complaint is that I wish there was a dvd with it. Then you would have
this great book and be able to enjoy watching Simon cast. This is my next book
purchase! Thanks Simon.

Kevin

·
Addicted to the cast!
274 Posts
Thank you all for your kind words, especially Way, who is always a gentleman. I am very touched to read that people like it as I read the book with mounting horror as to some of the things I have forgotten, or left out, or new stuff I have learnt since I had to hand the manuscript in at the end of 2003.

As Way says, it is pretty hard to write a book that explains the fundementals of a sport (such as spey casting). I guess I got to the stage where I had to let all the jumble in my head pour out onto paper and hope it makes sense. A lot of the credit should go to Judith Schnell at Stackpole books as she managed to sort out the mess into a readable format (and translate from English to American, in many cases!)

Thanks again for all your kind words.
Simon

·
Registered
11,027 Posts
"Thanks again for all your kind words."

When an 'Author' pens something that great, he's just going to have to learn how to keep the 'size' of his hat under control. :hihi:

Any hints when an updated version (or volume II if you will) and/or DVD might be coming out????

·
Coast2coast Flyfishaholic
1,771 Posts
Simon,

Since this book hit the shelves the whole Spey universe has expanded! I first opened it less than 24 hours ago and have found myself using 6 of those 24 to read and learn, can't put it down.

The casting concepts and high level explanations have been told over and over but the root causes, detailed explanations and precise adjustments you describe are unprecendented in any book.

As a student of two-handed casting, I sincerely THANK YOU!

1 - 20 of 23 Posts