Spey Pages banner
1 - 20 of 54 Posts

·
Registered
328 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I love Simms products. I think they are great.

All my simms waders, boots and clothing has done wey well. Besides my G3 Waders. I bought them in the states (Leland FFO - San Fransico) August 2003. I got my first leak at mid may 2004. I did repair it by my self and then in november 2004 i did send them to Simms USA for repair (expensive shipping costs) i got them back and started to use them in february of 2005, and they again did start to leak in middle of May. I trew them in the closet and bought a pair of Classic Guide waders insted. Now this fall i did send the G3 waders to Simms again for repair (once again expensive shipping cost) and they did find leaks in the crowch, leg and nee + 8 pinholes.

It´s not so fun to buy the worlds most expensive waders and have this problem. If i had bought a pair of Guideline or Loop waders here in scandinavia they had replaced the waders at once.

I mean really, the G3 is a great wader, (i have many freinds hwo has them and no leaks), but why dident simms send me a pair of new waders and i had been a happy customer? I can bett money thaht my repaird G3 waders is gonna leak this May 2006. :razz: :razz: :razz: and i dont no if i will pay the shipping costs to Simms, Bozeman Montana again! :roll:

·
Banned
161 Posts
Simms

I have owned 4 pairs of Simms waders, including the G3s. I purchaesd the G3s last December and by late March they were severely leaking. When returned, Simms repaired the waders, but I still found them to leak. I informed my local fly shop that I was done with Simms' products. The fly shop spoke with Simms and Simms indicated that they would replace the waders, but told the shop to inform me that it would be my last pair.

I don't know why Simms would throw in the extra comment, but I was happy to have new waders. The new G3s leaked in less than 3 months. Needless to say, I have moved on to Patagonia waders. While I prefer the fit and feel of the G3s, I just can no longer support Simms and their apparent disregard for customer service.

I am currently authoring a letter to Simms and will be returning all of my existing Simms product.

jgs

·
#&%*@^# Caster
3,057 Posts
Mine leak to. I *heard* that there is a known problem in the design and I thought they were doing something about it. Maybe not...

When not leaking they are the best breathing and comfortable waders I own. Unfortunately that comfort seems to come with the caveat that they will leak in a few months. I think they may just be trying to hide a design flaw and if so that sucks.

Not to say Simms customer service is bad though. I have the G3 jacket which rocks and apparently there was a known flaw with the first ones that came out. I never experienced a problem but decided to send it in with my waders to see what would happen. Mine was replaced with a new one no questions asked which I though was cool.

Will be returning my G3s yet again this winter and we will see what happens.

-sean

·
Registered
886 Posts
The stiching in my boots went then the studs came loose, I too had purchased in the States an had to pay huge postage costs to the USA £43.00 or about $75 US . I'm not happy with Simms Europe and their policy of not doing warrenty on goods bought in the USA.

·
Banned
161 Posts
Simms Guide Boots

I forgot to comment on the new AquaStealth studded guide boots. They too have a known problem where the stitching comes out. I guess those in the know AquaSeal the seam before use. As for mine, both boots are in need of repair after less than 20 days on the water. Perhaps I will return them in advance of my other letter and see what happens.

For the rest of you, AquaSeal up those seams.

jgs

·
JD
3,646 Posts
Simms sucks

I hope you guys don't delete this thread because I said that but,,,,I've owned my last pair of Simms anything. I got tired of leaky waders, sending them in for repairs,,,,multiple times,,,,including $75 for new booties.

There are other people out there making waders that are just as good (that doesn't seem to be saying much :eek: ) or better. For a whole lot less money. I settled on Dan Baileys. Popped for the top of the line Yellowstone Guide model. More features, more sizes, better product, IMHO & great service. When a real person at Dan Bailey's tells me that their warranty policy is anytime you become unsatisfied with their waders, return them and they will make it right with you,,,,they not only have my attention, they have my business! :)

My waders did develope a seam leak after six or eight months. I sent them in for repair. They opted to replace rather than repair them. And,,,,since they were out of my size, and the guide model waders were going through a design change and would not be ready until some time after the first of the year, Dan Bailey sent me a brand new pair of lightweights to use, free of charge, until they are able to replace my waders with the 2006 model.

Now that, my friends, is what I call service! :smokin: Hey, these lightweights are pretty nice waders.

·
Registered
1,758 Posts
me too?

I used my G3 waders for less than 15 outings. Lightly worn (no bushwacking). They're leaking in the crotch area...is that the 'known' issue?

What's really disappointing is that I originally had (and still do) the Simms Breathable lightweights. 1/2 the cost and still going strong after 5 years.

Also, what's the 'known' issue with the G3 jacket? I love the jacket...

Preston
Toronto

·
#&%*@^# Caster
3,057 Posts
The early jackets had a problem with the zipper. I think the teeth were snapping off. That has been fixed in the newer models. I think the crotch of the G3s has been the problem. Most everyone I have talked to has had this problem with them.

-sean

·
Registered
224 Posts
I spoke to a dealer about the problems with leaky crotches ( :D ) on the G3's. His take was that it's largely due to ill-fitting waders. Mine haven't seen a whole lot of use yet, but hopefully they hold out. Big trip planned in a month...

·
Registered
159 Posts
I’ve had terrible luck with waders, especially Simms. It started with a pair of the old Guides. After a couple of months they started to leak. Sent them for repairs. Couple of more months and they were leaking again. I expressed my displeasure with Simms and my shop and for a sum I upgraded to the new G3s. I was really happy until the leaking started after another couple of months. Now I was really angry. I called Simms. They wanted me to send my waders to them in the middle of the winter steelhead season….not a chance. So after persistence my waders were replaced once again. My shop kept the pair and I got a pair of Patagonias. These waders were great. There were no surprise leaks but after a summer of bushwacking for summer steelhead the inside of the knees were shot. My shop couldn’t get a replacement pair and Patagonia gave me a credit. I’d since heard some good reports with the G3s so I went back to them. Well that was a huge mistake. The new pair leaked day 1. They’ve been back to Simms and now after three months are leaking again. Looks like I’ll be wader shopping again real soon. I’ve had problems with the boots too but Simms just keeps on replacing them. There is obviously a design flaw. At this point after four new pairs I think I’ve gotten my original money out of them.

·
BULL DOG!!!!
Gaelforce
2,553 Posts
Just wondering if anyone has gotten any of the Cloudveil waders. I saw a few pairs and was impressed.

·
Registered
1,154 Posts
What i NEED!!!! from a wader manufacturer is not a good warantee but a good product so that i never have to use the warantee... Simms has accomplished that for me with every purchace i have made except one and that was a waterproof duffle bag..

been 10 years since i bought my first simms gortex waders I am on my second pair, when i go fishing i give NO consideration for the saftey of my waders i bushwhack where there are no trails through briers and bushes thorns and twigs without developing leaks! when i am done with a days fishing they get thrown in the back of my truck and may not dry out for a week.. NO LEAKS.. 2 pairs of waders in 10 years is absolutely AWSOME perfomance. the classic guide model gortex by simms is the best wader ever made bar none! I have never sent waders to simms and that's the whole idea..

·
Junkyard Spey
7,105 Posts
Well all I know is...

during our busy season a great many of our customers come into the shop fully suited up. I note the wader brands they are wearing and more people are wearing Dan Bailey Lightweights then anything else. These customers cover all points of the financial spectrum and include guides, dudes, jedi masters, newbies, and wannabies.

·
Registered
959 Posts
inland said:
JD,

My experiences are a mirror image of yours. Opted for the same brand to replace said Simms. Been nothing but perfect.

William
William
Sorry (I'm a little confused and don't mean to be a smart **s) but isn't a mirror image the opposite? Do you mean your experience is the same aas JD's and your experience with Bailey's is perfect?
Bill

·
Registered
224 Posts
Not to hi-jack the thread, but has anyone seen or heard anything of the new William Joseph waders? I know they're a ways off from being released, but thought maybe someone had heard something through the grapevine.

·
Registered
328 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
OK, my tip to you... if you still trust Simms, go whit the Classic Guide Waders... i have had no problem whit a 100days of fishing!

·
Registered
68 Posts
Perhaps all depends on a dealer, in Simms case? My G3 also started leaking after 5 months, and our dealer gave me a new pair after 2 week. After that I decided to save them. And for heavy duty and short time fishing I bought Snowbee bootfoot. Unbelieveable!!! They were and are great! And much cheaper!

·
Registered
328 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
mjyp said:
what simms or db really need to do is develope a warm, and I mean warm bootfoot gortex wader. GLs waters get pretty cold in the winter and 6mil of neo (ala Simms) just does not cut the mustard.
Simms Had, in my experiens a great Guide Weight Wader whit attached Hunter wellington boot! Please bring them back!

Here i sweden, we have begun to make our own simms guide bootfoot waders, whit nokian wellingtonboots, some glu and tejp.

1 - 20 of 54 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.