Spey Pages banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
321 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Now that the slick has been around for most of another steelhead season, I'm interested in opinions about it. Does gear in the large front pockets stay dry in the rain? What about with deep wading? How watertight and comfortable are the cuffs? Any downside to its longer length?

·
Registered
799 Posts
Looking forward to hearing any reviews or comments as I am looking to get this jacket myself to replace the Patagonia jacket I had that failed.

Brayden

·
Banned
1,946 Posts
I have replaced G4 with Slick Jacket and have no regrets. No problems with leaks, and has sufficient room for storage. It has a tighter profile, still plenty of space for an extra layering, and is more suitable then G4 for casting with two- handed rods.

·
Registered
173 Posts
I would Ditto Suzan's comments- got one this summer- used on the Dean this fall- loved it. Running line wasn't always getting caught on pockets/wrist wraps as with other Simms jackets I have used. It does have a trimmer fit. I put some items in front pockets- but used a sling pack for flies,leaders, leader material... so I cant comment about what it would be like fully loaded. The cuff system does a way better job of keeping water off my wrists/shirt when casting than the other Simms jacket I had( G3).I did take a fall backwards off a bank I was climbing up into the water- was deep enough that I found myself sitting backward , in water up passed my bellybutton, for about 30 seconds until I could figure out what just happened. Had jacket zipped 3/4 the way up, wrist wraps snug and a wadding belt around the jacket and my waders- I didn't get a drop of water on my cloths and was totally dry- acted like a dry suit.

Bigfoot

·
Registered
1,780 Posts
I like mine, I don't like mine....

I thought about getting another G3 but haven't...

Slick is slick for city wear ...It feels to me like it keeps me dryer and it fits better...
Thing I don't like is I have no external hooks or such for nippers...sounds minor till it's pissing rain hard and you have to open the pocket and dig to find one...

So I put um on my satchel or around my neck and all is good...

Look on the bidding site and you might get one cheap...

Knowing Simms they'll be discontinued this year and i'll have paid twice as much for mine...

·
Registered
49 Posts
slick jacket

I generally like mine.

Things I like: The internal pocket zippers, which give you access to your wader pockets. I use that feature a lot. The chest pockets are huge and you can stuff quite a bit into them. The hood is a good fit and it adjusts easily. Most importantly, it is a pretty bomber jacket. It definitely keeps you dry, and it seems to stand up well to general abuse (1 year in, granted).

Things I don't like: The fit is rather billowy. The collar is really high, which is great when it is pissing rain, but often annoying when it is not. The hand pockets fill up with water during heavy rains, similar to the old Cloudveil wading jacket.

Overall, it's a great jacket. Not sure it's worth full price, but they seem to be showing up on some of the deal-of-the-day websites periodically, for a huge discount.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts