Spey Pages banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
328 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What do you think about the Simms Guide Boot?

and what do you think about the Studded AquaStealth sole?

// Jacob

·
Registered
25 Posts
simms guide book

I have used the Simms guide boot with aqua stealth and studs for three years and liken them to a fine pair of hiking boots. They are very nearly as sure footed as good felts with studs and have the advantage when hiking between spots. I fish some pretty slippery ledges on the Deschutes and feel secure.

·
Registered
239 Posts
The original Simms guide boot (all leather) was the single best wading boot I've ever owned. Clearly the best hiking boot, durable, comfortable, amazing. The new boot, with the mesh last, makes no sense. It must be designed for planned obsolescence, like the Danners. i have friends who swear by studded aquastealth. i haven't tried it yet.

The Patagonia felt and beefy with studs are solid, rate well where sharp rocks are around, and hike okay, but not as well as the Simms. The Danners lack support, and don't last for more than half a season. The Chotas are the most comfortable out of the box, and the screw-in lugs are a neat feature, they hike well, but the heel felt keeps coming off. The Chota is not sturdy enough to take where a lot of climbing is done (i.e. Kola) The Korker adjustible sole is a neat idea, but mine are a tad on teh small size, so i'll have to get a bigger size to play with.

·
Registered
3,042 Posts
I found that the Guide Boots were too wide to fit inside my heavy duty wading sandals. So I went to the Simms Lightweights which are a bit narrower. Now I am anything but lightweight and as a rule shy away from such products - but I went with them.

They are the most comfotable and easy to get in and out of (wet or dry) of any boots I've ever owned. They have lasted very well - they will make 2 full seasons - that is a considerable workout. However, I have just recieved my new pair of the upgraded L2's but haven't worn them yet as the originals are still hanging in.

·
Registered
562 Posts
I have fished the Simms guide boot for about a year now and absolutely love them. I do have the studded aquastealth and went with them because I do a lot of hiking between spots. I can't think of any complaints I would have with them.

It is difficult for me to compare them with other boots because I have always used boof foot waders prior to this. I will see that they are much better than walking around in giant moon boots

Gillie

·
Registered
71 Posts
Wear of wading boots and waders?

Kush wrote:
"They are the most comfotable and easy to get in and out of (wet or dry) of any boots I've ever owned. They have lasted very well - they will make 2 full seasons - that is a considerable workout. However, I have just recieved my new pair of the upgraded L2's but haven't worn them yet as the originals are still hanging in."

Hi Kush:
Just curious since you seem to wear out your boots in 2 full seasons. What kind/brand of waders do you have and how long do they last?

TIA
Tom.

·
loco alto!
3,054 Posts
Another vote for the old guide model. I have 4 pairs: plain felt, felt studs, aquastealth studs, and an extra pair of aquastealth studs for when pair #1 goes kaput! Simple and strong, love mine

1 - 7 of 7 Posts