Spey Pages banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
159 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So after 4-5 years of vigorous use, my g3s have finally gave out. I sent it in and the repair guys said my waders are pretty worn out and will most likely be unrepairable. In the end, they offer me a 50% discount on any pair of waders. Now I'm deciding which one I should choose. Anyone has anything to say about the g4 pro or g4z? Are they worth THAT MUCH money? Or should I just go back with the newer g3s? Thanks.

·
Registered
879 Posts
The same exact thing happened to me a couple years ago. I got the G4s w/o zipper (2013). They felt stiff to me. I kind of regretted not getting another pair of G3s. Then the G4s developed a mystery leak after almost a year, so I sent them back. They were ruled defective and I was offered another pair for free. I opted for the G4s again, figuring I'd just sell them on eBay as new. They were the 2014 model. I tried them on and I was very impressed. They weren't nearly as stiff feeling as the older model. I decided to keep them after all and I have been very happy with them.

I did consider the G4Zs, but I don't want to give up that little pouch.

·
Pupil of the river.
408 Posts
G3 or G4

I'd go to the local shop and try them both on. I have G4s and love them, but I think its more a comfort issue than anything. Either way you go, Simms has great repair and customer service departments and you know you'll be taken care of. If you're fishing a lot, more than 100 days a year, I'd definitely go with the G4s though, just a little more durable.

You can't go wrong.

·
Registered
5,365 Posts
My g4z were also replaced after two years of use and leaking at a seam. I'm on my 3rd pair now and I like them a lot. No issues other that one. But they are heavy though!

·
Registered
18 Posts
G4 for sure

I've had both the G3 and G4Z waders. Both great waders but my pet peeve with the 3s is the seam horizontely across the thigh into the area below the crotch. I walk a ton while on the river and that seam rubbed against the one on the other leg causing a leak. The 4s have got rid of that seam so the 4s get my vote for that reason.

·
Recreational User
217 Posts
I currently have both g4pro and g3 waders in the new (2013 and newer) fabric, and have had the old g3, g4, and g4ltd waders with the heavier gore fabric. I love them all, but the fit seems slightly different between the g3 and g4 lines. The g3's seem to have more space in the upper thigh/butt/torso and don't ride as high as the g4's, which are much more "snug" throughout. Both are easy to get layers under, so that isn't really a worry, but the g3's have a much more "casual" fit, at least the ones I have.

·
Registered
401 Posts
Go for it...

...the G4Z are great. I have G3 in boot and stocking foot, both great but G4Z are my fav. The zipper is legit, the waders are tough.

·
Registered
1,729 Posts
I have the original G3s and 2013 G4s. I'm size medium and find the G4s extremely wide from the ankle up. I'm a driftsock in the river which is dangerous. Sizing wise the old G3s are much better.

·
Registered
159 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks guys. I guess I'll give the newer g4z a try since it'll be 50% off. I just hope they fit me like my old g3s!

·
Registered
361 Posts
Make sure they (Simms) know you are uncertain about sizing. I emailed their customer service folks and They will accept returns for exchange on unused product that doesn't fit properly.

·
Registered
321 Posts
Part of the answer has to do with your age. I'm an old fart coffee drinker and with the longer zipper the new G4Z's are extremely convenient, especially on snotty, cold days.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts