Spey Pages banner

Simms G3 Boots

3K views 19 replies 17 participants last post by  dutch_m 
#1 ·
Has anyone used the new G3 boots? I'm interested in your opinion...cheers

#5 ·
They work, no sense yet of long-term durability, but on sizing: I’ve worn Simms size 14 for 30 yrs, but had to get size 15 in the current G3. My old Guide and Rivershed 14 boots still fit fine (I keep a mix of felt and rubber in the rotation). Try sizes before you buy.

#6 ·
I had riverteks that blew up so Simms sent me G3s as a warranty. good support and so far the material is holding up but it's just been a year. tread is quite grippy. time will tell. if they fail I'll try the new Patagonia/Danner with aluminum bars.

I will run the Patagonia crampons aluminum bars with these G3s for certain slick rivers.

#20 ·
I wouldn't if I was you , I seen what they did to my buds Simms boots , wore them good on the side in 2 weeks of fishing , and those Patagonia crampons broke the strap and pretty well a mess after just 2 weeks of fishing ,

Only good part is they will cover him under warranty and give new ones , he will be selling them , if you really want them , I'll hook you up

I use the slip on korkers with the studs in the bottoms , I've got 3 years out of them , could push a 4"th year , but I'm going to get another for $100

#7 ·
I know guys who wear and love these boots. However, and not to offend anyone, my experience with that boot was not good.
I had to return them because the exterior plastic ankle support system dug into my ankle to the point where I could not walk in them. Their customer service is very good, the rep stated that it is most likely my body style.
Also, they seem to take a very long time to dry and I regularly got gravel in them. The gravel problem could be that I am not wearing Simms waders or Simms gravel guard system.
I have the Simms Flyweights, they also take forever to dry and again gravel is a problem. From my experience, the Danner is a much better boot if you can manage the cost.

#9 ·
I enjoy them. Through a pack of hard bite cleats at them and I will probably add more. For me the key was ankle support. These boots have lots of it and are damn comfortable. They pair well with G3 waders. Go figure.

Sent from my SM-G955W using Tapatalk

#10 ·
I have had a pair of the newer Simms G3 felt bottom boots for about a year now. I find them comfortable and have been holding up very, very well so far. My only complain is the laces that came with them were junk and shredded the casing in a few trips. I put on a different pair of thicker simms replacement laces and they have help up good so far.

My previous pair of boots were older Simms Freestones and they definitely felt heavy but I couldn't believe how undestructible they were through the abuse I put them through. They are still a solid pair of backups for me.

I used to wear another brand of boots, because I really liked the interchangeable soles, but three out of the four pairs I had were falling apart in less than a year.

#11 ·
"I used to wear another brand of boots, because I really liked the interchangeable soles, but three out of the four pairs I had were falling apart in less than a year."

Same here. One day on the river and the felt would come off.

I'm about to pull the trigger on the G3's

#15 ·
I have a rotation, because I use my old moon boots (an earlier model I think) in winter, and the felts are studded with a bucket full of Kold Kutters that get changed frequently and cheaply. I have some G3 Guides with studded felt, which were a stray pair purchased during Simms' 'we're too good for felt' phase and they're a pretty broke down now but have years left in them.
I took my last broke down pair, which lasted quite awhile, and sent them in and got a new pair of G3 Guides a couple years ago. I got them smaller and figured I'd wear them for wet wading but they're not getting much use. Vibram soles.

I've been wearing Simms boots so long that now I think they either doubled in weight or I'm getting old. So I'm interested in this thread and it has me thinking about a pair of ultralights. But I'd have to beat down my winter boots pretty bad to justify the expense, and like I said that's a slow process. I might run out of years before I run out of boot, eh?

#16 ·
Hey SpeySpaz, What size Kold Cutters are you using - when you referred to "I have a rotation, because I use my old moon boots (an earlier model I think) in winter, and the felts are studded with a bucket full of Kold Kutters that get changed frequently and cheaply." Need some studs for a new pair of Simms Rivershed. Thanks.

#17 ·
I like the 5/8" Kold Kutter, dirt cheap on Amazon. So cheap I change them once per season and I use a bunch of them in pursuit of staying vertical-which is not so easy for me some days.:frown2:

Reactions: DryflyBum
#18 ·
The Simms G3 wading boots are the best wading boots for aggressive hiking that I have ever used.

The Vibram rubber outer sole is decorated with a sparse collection of aluminum pucks.

I have two pairs. The earlier pair is on its 3rd resole. I use that one in the late fall and winter months as the uppers are a bit looser and roomier.

At this point, I am not sure that I will resole it for a 4th time. To be determined. If necessary I will gladly buy yet another pair of G3s until somebody comes along and says "Hey, I know what you are doing, these (some other) boots are better."

#19 ·
I have an older pair of G3's (about 3years old?). I love them - they are super protective under even the worse river conditions. Great ankle support and NO stone bruises with these babies. You may walk a bit Frankenstein-like until they break in some, but they are tough boots. Mine have a half ton of studs on them. I've put them through the paces and they are still going strong and I expect a lot more mileage out of them. They seem pretty true to size to me (your mileage may vary). Mine are size 11 and I use them for warmer water use. I needed a size 12 to fit more socks for colder conditions, so I purchased some Simms Riversheds BOA on sale in the larger size. Otherwise I'd still be using the G3's for the winter water. Will be wearing the Riversheds everyday for a solid month this fall - we'll see how they compare with G3's.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.