Spey Pages banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1,450 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This tie has a little background to it.

I couldn't decide what I wanted to tie and while rooting through some material boxes I found some old flies I bought a couple of years ago. One in particular caught my eye due to the size and shape of the hook. It was a Silver Wilkinson which is a pattern I've always liked. The beat up mangled old fly was removed from the hook despite the fact the original tyer used about 2 pounds of wax and a 1/2 gallon of head cement on the tie. Almost indestructible!!. I did manage to save the old gut and put it to use on this tie.

When tying this one I married the wing strips and after 3 tries they were a mess and tossed. Married another set and ditto. Third time was the charm. Married 2 sets of wings and on the first try I got just what I wanted...go figure.

Nevertheless I'm pretty chuffed with this one. The head got away from me a bit, but it doesn't bother me all that much.

I've attached a few photos of the process from old to new.

Feel free to comment folks....

Attachments

·
Registered
1,450 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Thanks Nooksack Mac!!

The vise is the Cotarelli T-Rex. Friends turned me onto the vise and it really is a superb piece of equipment...and at a surprisingly reasonable price. I bought it from the source in Italy and I had it in hand in 4 days!!

·
Premium Member
690 Posts
really cool George, lovely body work, is it down and back or just up? cameron

PS what's the hook in the upper right of the drawers on the magnet? looks nice and beefy

·
Registered
1,450 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Cameron - The tinsel is one layer only. Started at the butt ad wound forward. It is Lagartun wide metal tinsel.

The hook is from an unknown maker. A fellow at my tying club stumbled onto a batch of blind hooks of various sizes and styles a while back, and I bought them at a very reasonable price and have put a few to use. That one is a 5/0 and reminds me somewhat of a Ronn Lucas, Sr. Phillips-Jones model. The finish has seen better days, hence its position on the magnet. I plan to work on it a bit to try and rehab it.

Reactions: bwodun

·
Registered
875 Posts
George, really nice job! Your flies always look great and the photography is top notch.

Thanks for sharing your work.
Doug

·
Registered
1,450 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Body Work

Cameron - The tinsel is one layer only. Started at the butt ad wound forward. It is Lagartun wide metal tinsel.

The hook is from an unknown maker. A fellow at my tying club stumbled onto a batch of blind hooks of various sizes and styles a while back, and I bought them at a very reasonable price and have put a few to use. That one is a 5/0 and reminds me somewhat of a Ronn Lucas, Sr. Phillips-Jones model. The finish has seen better days, hence its position on the magnet. I plan to work on it a bit to try and rehab it.
Cameron - One other thing about the tinsel body...the underbody. A tyer of your caliber knows it must be as smooth as possible, and that makes for a better finished product. See the attached photo.

Attachments

Reactions: bwodun

·
Administrator
18,687 Posts
Very nice work George :smokin::smokin:
It's cool that you recycle hooks too.
I'm envious of your tying area ... looks very comfortable :)

Mike

·
Registered
55 Posts
nice fly and neat set up you've got there, haven't seen a vice like that before!

The Wilkinson or 'Wilky' as we often call them here is one of my favorite fishing patterns in the modern style, great pattern for Altantic salmon! :)

·
Registered
1,450 Posts
Discussion Starter #12 (Edited)
Vise

nice fly and neat set up you've got there, haven't seen a vice like that before!

The Wilkinson or 'Wilky' as we often call them here is one of my favorite fishing patterns in the modern style, great pattern for Altantic salmon! :)
Thanks for your kind words Easky. As I said earlier in this thread, the vise is a Cottarelli T-Rex, specifically the c-clamp version. I got the vise direct from the source - 54 Dean Street - in Italy. I had it in hand here in the U.S. in 4 days, and that included a Sunday over the weekend when I placed that order. It is a true pleasure to tie on!!!:smokin::smokin:

Reactions: Easky

·
Registered
55 Posts
Thanks for your kind words Easky. As I said earlier in this thread, the vise is a Cottarelli T-Rex, specifically the c-clamp version. I got the vise direct from the source - 54 Dean Street - in Italy. I had it in hand here in the U.S. in 4 days, and that included a Sunday over the weekend when I placed that order. It is a true pleasure to tie on!!!:smokin::smokin:
great service right there and I find quality gear, whether it be fishing combos or fly tying gear, just adds to the whole experience and enjoyment :smile2:

·
Registered
1,450 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Good Price Too

great service right there and I find quality gear, whether it be fishing combos or fly tying gear, just adds to the whole experience and enjoyment :smile2:
Now I want to be clear...I have no stake in the company. But I like to point out people are stunned at how comparatively inexpensive this vise is compared to its competition. Almost irresistible :whoa::whoa:

1 - 14 of 14 Posts